Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 02:05:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Maternal Grandmother sequesteriing child from Paternal family

Started by sadgrandad, May 12, 2008, 08:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sadgrandad

I am posting this information for my son, who works full time and needs my assistance in gaining information.
  Very condensed, here is his problem:
  Although not married to his child's mother, paternity has been proven in court without a doubt.
  The mother is mentally incompetent.  She has been in and out of mental institutions the last two years.  According to the child advocate, she asked her mother to care for the child and now that is OK that the grandmother has the child(unofficially).
  My son has not had any contact with his child for over two years now.  This started when two years ago, he was in the hospital for an emergency(a serious lung ailment), and missed a visitation.  The maternal grandmother has sequestered the child ever since from ALL paternal family members.  She even has refused to accept gifts from any paternal family member.  When sent via the postal system, they are returned, delivery refused.  All calls are ignored.  All visits to there home go ignored, or if they find out my son was going to try a visit, they would head out of town.
  My son is attempting to gain full custody.  The grandmother has made a charge of abandonment. And wants guardianship approved by the court. We have documented evidence of my son and other family making attempts to contact the maternal grandmother and visit the child, and the grandmother circumnavigating these attempts.
  My son has a steady job, for the last 18 years.  His support is current and never went into arrears.  He is now obtaining a house, with a nice yard, in a small school district(the schools he attended as a child).  He does have a very good chance at getting a job in public service with even better pay, and benefits.  He is clearly the best parent for the child.
  Yet the court is dancing around the issues as well as the child advocate.  The child advocate has made recommendations to the court without even interviewing my son.  She had interviewed the other side though.
  My son is facing gender bias here.
  We do have an attorney, but will run out of money soon.
  Any advice, or help of any kind would be appreciated.