Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 09:03:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Abandoned and may loose custody b/c of mental illness

Started by Long Distance, May 19, 2008, 01:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Distance

Hello,

I'm hoping to be able to get some help in defending myself from legal judgments and loss of custody from a divorce that was primarily caused by my mental illness.  Major Depression (poss.  Bi-polar (hypo-manic))

FYI, I also have early on-set Parkinson's (I'm 35), which has Mental illness components as well.

I'm trying as best I can to make sure that my rights are not trampled,  but the system seems to be set up such that the major earner  (me)  forfeits the greater part of their assets , and also looses the greater part of their custody (and enjoyment) rights. I really need those assets to take care of myself when the Parkinson's get worse now that I have been abandoned.

The Divorce is in Oregon; however, I'm a Federal employee and thus must be in DC or loose my job and med benefits.

The most recent and worse yet action was that my wife was awarded temporary child and even spousal support (we were married less than 3 years).  The Big problem is that   after taxes, rent, and living expenses, child support puts me in the Red, and Spousal support buries me.  I thus do not really have the funds to continue my   Psychiatric and neurological care (even w/ insurance the costs are high).  There are of course the Steep legal fees as well.

If there is any legal help or advice, or resources that you can provide or recommend it would be a great help.

Also, Oregon and most states are "no fault", but is there any group or legal movement that deals with spouses who abandon a mentally ill spouse (no abuse, or violence...just depression)

Thanks