Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 20, 2024, 08:08:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CS question on Child's earnings

Started by wysiwyg, Jul 02, 2008, 05:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wysiwyg

Sorry guys  - posting here because I hoped I could get a quick response.

If a child is working 30 hours a week - per the HS work permit filled out by the employer, how and should that income be figured into the child support obligation?  

It seems to me that as a minor the custodial parent has control of the child's income, and can have the child pay her for bills and things (she currently does for his eanrings for mowing lawns but this is not a legal tax paying job).

Whats your take on this?

Giggles

If the custodial parent is taking the minor's wages for their own benefit, then that is just sad.

When I was in HS, I worked during the summer and was able to do what I wanted with what I got paid.  
Now I'm living....Just another day in Paradise!!

wysiwyg

the real sad part about this is that the BM is NOT working and has not for 3 years, we STILL pay a portion of CS towards day care - she is court ordered to carry med ical insurance on the child, but as you can see no job = no benefits, and if the child is working then why should we be paying day care?  We have asked her for 5 years to modify the CS obligation ( we tried but was told by CSE to hire an attorney, which we did and it cost us 30K by the time it was all sadi and done) not going to do that again, do not have 30K to spare.  And yes, she took his last $60 to pay HER cell bill from his wages of mowing lawns, but I can not prove it.

ocean

Call your local family court and ask where you file and file yourself. We have done it many times especially for child support when it usually is about the numbers. File (here it is free) then they mail you a court date. You show up and you go into a room and state your case and BM will be asked to show up too. Daycare???

Just be careful, could the child support go up? When was the last time it was calculated? She could ask that the numbers get looked at again and you could pay more in child support. There are child support calculators on-line to see if you are paying the right amount.

wysiwyg

that is how we eneded up paying 30K in attorney's fees.  we found that we could submit a form to the CSE and request for a reeval.  CSE sent us a letter back that we needed to hire an attorney, because we were  told that they ONLY work for the custodial parent.

You are right anything can happen it can go up or down, or bite us in the a**, but it angers me that we are paying a portion of CS for day care adn medical menefits neither of which are being used for it, and just in my opinion that is stealing and she should be held accountable for that and for failing to carry the child under insurance per the court order, btw we were told that she has not had insurance since 2002.  BUt the child will be 18 in less than a year and  ahalf so I beed to choose my battles wisely and to prove the above would be costly to subpoena records adn file a petition.

I was really wondering if states took into account for  a child earing income and how that played into the parents opbligation, it just seems to me that it should, but that is only my opinion.

Giggles

It just sucks that she is spunging off you and her own child like that.  One consolation though, in 1.5 years you get to write that last check...then what is she going to do?  Women like her don't plan for when CS ends and they panic.  I will say be prepared for her to try and get it extended past 18.

I just can't believe that it was over $30K to modify a CS order?  That's just nuts!!

What really gets me is the fact that I'm a custodial parent and I get a total of $562 for 2 kids.  Both are school age (9 & 11), I carry the health insurance and I feel that I get a fair amount of support.  I just don't understand how these women can justify and complain about getting large amounts of CS.

Fueledbyjava

It's because they waste the money on themselves and don't save it or use it for what it is intended for. It sounds like you us the money for its intended purpose.

Giggles

I've got a pretty good job and make WAY more than the kids father.  I've always considered the CS as extra $$ for them and lets them do some fun stuff.

Now with gas prices and everything running so high, some of that fun stuff has been curbed....but yes...pretty much it is all spent on them!!