Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 05:11:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dr. Phil

Started by Fueledbyjava, Jul 28, 2008, 06:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fueledbyjava

Did anyone see Dr. Phil on friday? It had a family that had put a baby up for adoption without the consent of the father and due to some loophole they legally did it! They had the director for the National Institute for Men on talkig about how the government didn't care to find out if he wanted to care for the child but they will sure come after him for child support if the adoptive parents want it! Unbelievable!

FatherTime

His show is ready for prime time, for mothers.  He panders to his audience, which is the stay at home mothers, who buy pampers, dish detergent, foodstuffs, and watch soaps all day.

His audience isn't pro father.

FatherTime

Fueledbyjava

Actually in this episode he was standing up for the father who had his child basically taken away from him by the child's mother (they were not married) and her family. They gave the baby up for adoption without his consent, the didn't tell him when the child was born and they didn't put his name on the birth certificate. He was not informed until later that she had had the beby and then her family wouldn't allow him to see the child. apparently there is an obscure law that requires the father of a baby born to an unwed couple to file some sort of paperwork in order to have any "rights" to the baby. The law is so obscure that the mothers lawyer didn't even know about it until she did research for her client. Dr. phil said if you are a layer and din't even know about this law then how do you expect him to know?

janM

What bothers me about that "putative father's registry" (which I think was created with good intentions) is that, at least in their state, he is required to keep in contact with the mother-to-be, and support her and the pregnancy ($), but it's not even proven to be his child!

This and other boards tell presumptive fathers that until the child is born and paternity is established, they have no rights or responsibilites to the child. It could be anyone's child. Why the heck should a guy give the woman money or ask to go to doctor appointments with her (maintain contact) when it may not be his child? And if he doesn't do those things, he has any rights he might have taken away? And if he has no idea there is a baby...? I suppose ignorance is bliss?

I thought the purpose of the registry was to let the powers that be know that there is a possible father out there, should mom try to put the child up for adoption, and they contact him for his permission. I think that fathers' advocate who was on the show had a great idea. Make mom identify the dad, or if there is more than one, get them all in for a test. (I guess it wouldn't work for the "women" on Maury who bring in a dozen guys for testing and it's still none of them....)

I do think Phil was on Dad's side. The mom's family basically decided he was unfit and found a way to get him out of the way. Didn't work, though. Another thing that irks me, is that her family can see the child, and dad can't.

Fueledbyjava

I agree. i do believe the registry was created with good intentions but how is anyone supposed to know about it? I do think that the mother should have to name a father or possible father(s) and the state should have the responsibilty of at least notifying them that they may possibly have a child out there. It definitely wouldn't work for those women on Maury though. I just hate that the father was basically pushed out of his child's life but I know that if she wanted it the mother could get child support, unbelievable.

Davy

I don't watch Dr Phil so I didn't see the program about the illegal adoption of the infant.  I did receive an adoption notification for my 16 yr old daughter.  Upon contacting the Probate dept in this podunk out of state (ILL-and noise) county I encountered this gruff talking dip chit Probate dept. head that informed me they had only 'notified' me as required by law and that I had no choice in the matter and the adoption would proceed.

It didn't.  

Fueledbyjava

I would hope not! Don't get me started on my feelings for the family court system and it's associated beneficiary agencies.

tigger

The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

Davy

"That explains a lot.  eom"

Please define what 'that' is.

Please define what 'explains' means.

Please define what 'a lot'  is.

Otherwise your entire post appears meaningless.

tigger

your consent explains why you seem so anti-court and even anti-mom in your posts.  Though it was obvious that you had been hurt by the mother of your children, I didn't know any of your story.  

It wasn't my intention to offend you.
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!