Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 02:59:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

''Boys Are Stupid'': Round 4 Update

Started by Brent, Jan 22, 2004, 03:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

Last Sunday evening we initiated round 4 of our campaign against our largest target yet--Claire’s, which has 2,875 retail outlets in nearly a dozen countries. They sell hats, wallets, wristbands, socks and other products which say "Boys are Stupid--Throw Rocks at Them" and "Stupid Factory--Where Boys Are Made." The next morning hundreds of you wrote and called Claire's to complain, and Claire's executives met Monday morning to decide whether they should continue to sell the products.

Apparently the result of that meeting was a decision to request that all letter writers and callers send Claire's their full names and mailing addresses so that Claire's could snail mail them a response. I speculate that Claire's did this to gauge our true level of support. Perhaps they believe that our campaign is really the work of a few individuals with a bunch of different e-mail addresses. Also, I believe they are stalling in the hope that our campaign will lose steam.

As I said during my January 18 broadcast, I did not expect Claire's to give in as quickly as our three previous targets did, all of whom capitulated before noon the day following our broadcast. Please give them the information they requested so they will see the broad support our campaign has garnered. Also, urge your families, friends, and colleagues to get involved.

Also, while I'm touched that hundreds of you have joined our campaign, given the size of this e-list it is clear that there are many of you who have not participated. If this is because you disagree with our campaign then I'll respect your opinion. If not, then I urge you to join us. All information about the campaign, including contact information for Claire's, will always be available at Join Campaign Against 'Boys are Stupid' Products.

The campaign against Claire's has received some prominent endorsements and press coverage. and has made local news in Cleveland, Washington state, and others. There are major media outlets who have expressed an interest in covering our campaign, though if our action against Claire’s fails they probably won't materialize.

Some of you have been writing Claire's about "Boys are Stupid--Throw Rocks at Them" T-shirts. Please remember, as I stated in my broadcast and on our campaign page, Claire's sells many "Boys are Stupid" products but does not sell T-shirts.

Thanks to the many men's and fathers' groups and websites who have joined our effort, including: the Separated Parenting Access &  Resource Center (SPARC); the National Coalition of Free Men Los Angeles; Equal Parenting of Canada; MensNewsDaily.com; IFeminists.net; and MensActivism.org. SPARC in particular has helped rally support for our campaign.

Our computer network was under a major virus assault on Monday and Tuesday--a coincidence, I'm sure--so if you received strange e-mails from me or your mail to me bounced back this is why. Also, my mailing from Monday contained a typographical error--in the sentence "This week I want to knock these products out of over half of David &Goliath's retail outlets" the words "these products" were inadvertently omitted.

There have been several columns written about our campaign against the "Boys are Stupid" products, including: Brian Carnell's Clothing Retailers Are Stupid -- Throw Glenn Sacks at Them; Pete Jensen's Praise the Lord and Pass the Iron; Richard L. Davis' Boys are Stupid?; and Fox News columnist Wendy McElroy's Christmas in a War Zone.

I enjoyed Carnell's headline but his carping surprises me a bit. Men's activists have spent years and decades decrying our culture's anti-male bias and total insensitivity to the issues men and boys face. Yet on the rare occasion when someone actually does something about it, Carnell thinks it's making something out of nothing. How many times in the past 20 years have several major companies been forced to remove a product and apologize because it was offensive to males? Damned few, I would guess. Carnell is correct that "Boys are Stupid--Throw Rocks at Them" products are not the biggest issue in the world to fight over. However, they're sure a good place to start.

I would once again like to thank all of our advertisers--it is our advertisers who make His Side possible. To help support His Side with Glenn Sacks, click here.

Best Wishes,
Glenn Sacks
Listen to His Side with Glenn Sacks in LA & Seattle
GlennSacks.com

==========================================

Marla L. Schaefer
Co-Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Claire's Stores, Inc.
[email protected]
Phone (212) 594-3127
Fax (954) 433-3999

Bonnie Schaefer
Co-Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Claire's Stores, Inc.
[email protected]  
Phone (954) 433-3900
Fax (954) 433-3999

Phyllis Korman
Executive Secretary
Claire's Stores, Inc.
[email protected]  
Phone (954) 433-3900
Fax (954)433-3999

Ira D. Kaplan
Senior Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
Claire's Stores, Inc.
[email protected]

Michael Rabinovitch
Vice President of Finance
Claire's Stores, Inc.
[email protected]

FatherTime

I agree that the hats and shirts aren't the biggest issue to fight over.  I totally agree with the statement that it is a good place to start.  When I went on local television.  The gender discrimination was the key point.  They did point out that it was meant to be a joke.  I DID point out that child abuse is taken seriously by the courts and law enforcement.  

I am setting the tone for how gender bias and discrimination is ok against males and taboo against females.  What am I preparing for???

I'm practicing my speaking and getting my face into the public eye here locally.  I have already set the stage for the gender bias.  But, I need more practice.  I have more local channnels and lots of time.  I'm not giving up.  

Claire's will just hurt their public image by not acknowledging that the clothing is discriminatory and encouraging violence against children.  My next pursuit may be the local women's groups.  I want to get their take on the issue.  HE HE HE.  I want to put them on the spot.   The longer that Claire's continues to sell the hat the better it is for me.  I need the practice and a good punching bag.

Claire's if you're watching....

You should do the right thing before you are seen as being gender biased and bad press can be costly.  I think that your poor customer service is going to hurt your image.  By the way I returned that hat.  Should I go and try to buy it again?  It's a $10 hat that promotes violence against children.  Wake up and smell the coffee.  You are trying to make a profit off of promoting violence against a person because of their sex.  Your items are for girls and not for boys...so it's ok to bash boys?   How long are you going to wait, until there is national attention?

Also, go to davidandgoliathtees.com check out their r-rated items...see how they mock obese people, children with special needs, and promote drug use.  All of it jokingly of course.

LOL...it's too easy
:7

Indigo Mom

-----Apparently the result of that meeting was a decision to request that all letter writers and callers send Claire's their full names and mailing addresses so that Claire's could snail mail them a response. -----

Well, I'm tired of the suspense!  I'm sending them this info just so I can figure out why the heck they want it to begin with.  

Anyone willing to help relocate my family should my home suddenly go up in flames?????

;)

StPaulieGirl

Hi....
Several folks have stated that after they've sent an email regarding the "Boys are Stupid" T shirts, that your organization has requested a name and address before you will give a response. Why can you not comprehend how regular people feel about merchandise that incites violence? Can you imagine if you sold hats and T shirts saying, "Girls are stupid, throw rocks at them!" You'd have hell at your doorstep and you know it!
My contact information is as follows:
XXXXXXXXXXXXX, etc...

No, you may not have my phone number. Do not send me coupons, because my family will not shop at your store in the future.

One more thing, sports fans....ever hear of a website called Free Republic? I've been there as long as I've been on SPARC. We know how to legally picket people. Ask Hillary Clinton, if you don't believe me. Her book signing tour was turned into her worst nightmare  )(
Best of luck,
XXXXXXXXX

My bad?

determined

I sent the following email to the entire list:

--------------

I was horrified to find products sold in your stores which say "Boys are Stupid--Throw Rocks at Them" and "Stupid Factory--Where Boys Are Made."   It is my understanding that these products are made by a company called David &Goliath.

I simply cannot comprehend how you can morally or even legally encourage the commission of violent criminal acts ("Throw Rocks at Them") merely for your own personal profit.  I find such offensive behavior repulsive and I assure you that I will personally:

1.  boycott your stores for as long as you insist on such behavior,
2.  encourage all of my acquaintances to boycott your stores, and
3.  speak with my School Principal so that he protects my son by
     insisting on enforcing the school's dress code against such
     offensive messages.

----------------------------------------------------

I still thought it was illegal to incite violent criminal acts (e.g., "throw rocks at them").

MYSONSDAD

Ms. Michaels,

I have been advised to send you my personal information. This is in NO WAY giving you, or anyone associated with Claire's, permission to pass on my information.

I do not want any soliciting or placement on any mailing list. Until this merchandise is pulled from your shelves. I do not wish to hear from anyone from Claire's or any of their affiliates.

I am only responding to clarify my complaint as being legitimate.

XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX

cc: Glenn Sacks

FatherTime

We need to find out when they have shareholder meetings.

They are a Goliath of a corporation with some good profits.  We are lowly David's with little rocks.  (no puns intended)

StPaulieGirl

That's a good idea.  Finding out who the shareholders are might be interesting, also.  I find it hard to believe that Claire's has taken such an attitude towards this issue.  Bon Macy's and Tilly's has a much better attitude about this, imo.  If they keep this up, it's going to be too late for Claires to "save face".  They're ignoring the most basic commandment in marketing, "the customer is always right".

What I want to know, is what's up?  Is David & Goliath a privately held company, or do they have shareholders also?  Could they be somehow connected? (Is my tinfoil hat too tight?)

Once these people are known, wouldn't it be fun to research any political ties?  Do they donate to certain candidates or parties?  Mmmm, yes I know it's evil )(

StPaulieGirl

I still thought it was illegal to incite violent criminal acts (e.g., "throw rocks at them").

[p]You're right!  They should change those T shirts to read, "white boys are stupid....throw rocks at them". That should keep the ACLU off their butts. /sarcasm

Btw, that was a good letter.  

joni

....http://www.clairestores.com/pages/events.shtml

Astro