Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 01:05:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How long is normal?

Started by Tucker, Apr 23, 2004, 01:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tucker

What is an average time for a Custody Evaluation?  It just seems like the process goes on and on, without ever seeing a light at the end of the tunnel?  Not to mention the cost just keeps going up and up.  

mango

Ours took a few days to interview, and then a month for him to type his results.

The long process was the court dates, and for the magestrate to determine if he will align with the therapist view or not. That can take years.

bluesman

It varies quite a bit on several factors, such as:

Is the evaluation being performed by an outside psychologist or a state worker?

How complicated is the case? (are both parents 'fit' parents, are there allegations of abuse, drugs, drinking, etc)

How busy is the evaluator? (some will refuse to take cases if they have a full workload, some will take anything that comes their way)

Has the court set a deadline? (sometimes the court will, sometimes not)

How thourough is the evaluator? Some do much more work than others. In my case, each of us had separate meetings with the evaluator. Then we each came in separately with the kids. Then we each went in for standard tests. And although I understand its common to then have a meeting with both parents and the evaluator together, we didn't in my case.

Is the evaluator going on vacation?

I realize I've given more questions than answers, so I'll tell you this. Before mine started I was told to expect about 3 months. It took more like 5 months and our evaluator had to rush at the last minute to get it finished by a court date and did a terrible job.

j

Peanutsdad

Ours took 9 months. Almost comic in that, eh?

bluesman

>Ours took 9 months. Almost comic in that, eh?

Yep.

And to add insult to injury, mine cost $6,000 and another $2,000 to testify at trial. And my case was nice and clean. Two good parents, three beautiful kids, no allegations of any bad stuff, etc. Nice, huh?

That's why I refer to it as the divorce 'industry'. That's exactly what it is and these bottom-dwellers feed on our conflict. The more, the better for them.

Tucker

I was told the process would take 4-6 months at the outset.  Currently isn't been a little over 4 months, and the total cost, if it stays true to form, will cost $10,000.  My lawyer had told me the process would cost $4,000-$5,000, but the figure has not held true.  

....and yes, my evaluator has been on vacation several times throughout the process, plus the evaluator teachs seminars on the subject too.

I'm glad it will be a complete evaluation, and all things looked into, but the process is hard on the kids involved.  That's why I'm just looking for the light at the end of the tunnel, hoping it will be there soon.  

Either way, I'm hoping for the best as it pertains to the kids and a good situation for them when it completes.

Thanks for listening..