Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 04:25:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

1st court date tomorrow...need advice

Started by manc, May 02, 2004, 12:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manc

I am going to court in the morning after having been served divorce and custody papers on Friday. Giving me NO TIME to get legal aid or even any advice. My husband has a lawyer. He put a temporary injunction on me from leaving the state because I left and took the baby to Colorado, but came back after 10 days.
Because I have no legal help, if I ask for a continuance, do you think I'll be able to see my baby?
As I was a stay at home mom, and he made all the money, is he legally obliged to help me financially until the divorce?
Also as I am still a British citizen and he was my sponsor in the US, does he have an obligation to help me financially (my employment authorization has expired)?

Peanutsdad

Yes you can more than likely get a continuance. Take the summons with you.

If you ask for a continuance, the court wont address any issues at this point. Not cs, not visitation.

The other questions, I'll leave to folks that are more familiar with Colorado law and immigration law.

tryingtohelp

oh man... have you read the list?  

does he have your baby now?  are you both still under the same roof?

tryingtohelp

the list is under father's issues - but it applies to both men & women.  don't know your situation but it sounds like he's gotten a head start.  don't let the list alarm you  - it is just good to be educated about what could happen.  don't agree to do anything you don't want to do - even if you are feeling desparate.  hopefully you have family to fall back on for emotional and financial support.   good luck.