Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 06:21:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

should we even bother to try for more custody?

Started by stepmomof2, May 02, 2004, 03:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stepmomof2

My husband has been back and forth to court with his exwife many many times in the past 4 years that I've been around. We have finally had enough and we are thinking of going to court for more custody.  He started out with 30% but in the past two years has been granted 50%. The problems have mostly centered around the people that the kid's mom lets around them. For instance the kid's step dad has been a constant source of issue. He let the kids handle a real handgun, shoot a bb gun in the house, put a lock on the outside of bedroom door so that the kids couldn't get out when being punished, let them watch videos with nudity etc. He has a past of drug addiction and dui's as recent at 1 1/2 years ago. Recently he was arrested for possession of narcotics with intent to sell and is in a halfway house until his court date (he does get out on 6 hour furlows and the kid's mom is trying to reconcile) The kid's mom has now taken a roomate who has 2 dui's on her record. We do not have any proof that the kid's mom is using drugs but it seems as though she surrounds herself with people who do and this affects the kids. Also she slanders my husband's name every chance she gets. The kid's came to our house last week and were afraid to come based on some things that mom said. Our parenting has never come under question and my husband is a great father who just wants to keep his kids safe. Does this sound like it's not enough to get more time with the kids for us?

nosonew

I would say your best bet is to get all the kids in counseling when at your home, get a 3rd party (the counselor) to hear what is going on, THEN go for full custody.  Good luck!

stepmomof2

The kids are in counseling. The problem is the counselor also has seen the kids mom on more than 3 occasions for a session without the kids. We are continuing to bring them to this counselor even though we feel that he is biased because he is someone that the kids have seen for over a year and we don't want to add any more stress to their already angst ridden lives. When the kids step dad was arrested for drugs in Feb we called the counselor to ask him if he thought it was in the kids best interest to stay with us until the dust settled and he said "you can't do that to *** - the kid's mom" He seems to invested in this on her end.

So what do we do?