Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 08:12:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How to get rid of a GAL

Started by Bolivar, Sep 17, 2004, 10:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolivar

How to get rid of a GAL

Ohio, NCP male, one child 4 ½ years old

QUESTION:
It's been 2 years since divorce.  I would like to go back to court next month (OCT 2004) and again ask for more parenting time.  I need to get rid of my current GAL how do I do that?

OR

Is their a better way than a GAL to get an evaluation of the parents the judge can use to make a decision?

>> I have included my history with the current GAL if it will help to answer this question.  Sorry, turned out to be a long post <<

HISTORY:
- Divorce started Jan 2002
- Had no idea what a GAL was.
- Feb 2002 attorney said a GAL would help case.  
    - Attorney recommends one and I made an appointment.
    - GAL was confused, said "judge orders the GAL intervention". I said "my attorney said a GAL would help my case and to hire your."  He said get the judge to sign the order. My attorney got judge to appoint GAL.

-- Interaction with GAL --
* GAL would contact me directly.  
* GAL went through eX attorney with questions.
* I went alone into his office where he asked me questions.
* eX took attorney to answer GAL questions in office.
* During mediation session I went alone.  
* During mediation session my eX always brought her lawyer.  My eX NEVER talked.  

- Divorce Ended Nov 2002 - written into my divorce decree is the line:
   "Guardian ad litem Robert G. Reese will remain available to the parties, at the request of either party, in the event either party has continued concerns or issues with the implementation of exercise of visitation of other issues regarding the parties' minor child."

- labeled NCP and give "every other weekend (6pm Friday to 6pm Sunday)" and "every Tues 3-6pm"

- April 2003 around 3 months after divorce I requested intervention from GAL biased on sentence in my divorce decree.  I wanted to spend more time with my son.  He said a judge must initiate his intervention.

-*- GOT NEW ATTORNEY July 2003

- Oct 2003 I went back to court asking for more parenting time. Asking for "every Thursday 3-6 pm" and pick up son at 4:00 pm from daycare the Fridays I have him.

- GAL was appointed by judge to make an opinion.

- I told GAL that he would have to go through my attorney because of my experience last time.

- GAL tried to contact me directly. I would not take the call.  I then called MY attorney and told her that GAL tried to contact me directly.

- MY attorney called GAL and explained the proper conduct of communication.

- bla, bla, bla GAL plays games.  My attorney is pissed at GAL. I had spent about $2,500 so far to try and get an extra few hours a week with son.  Nothing was getting done.  I CLOSED THE CASE.  I did NOT get more parenting time and the experience cost me $2,500.

QUESTION:
It's been 2 years since divorce.  I would like to go back to court next month (OCT 2004) and again ask for more parenting time.  I need to get rid of my current GAL how do I do that?

OR

Is their a better way than a GAL to get an evaluation of the parents the judge can use to make a decision?

Bolivar

just wanted to move this to the top

LADYPEYE

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a GAL (guardian ad Litem) more or less speak for the children.

Try and independant "Home Study Evaluation".  Get new attorney to request it from the court.  Both homes are usually evaluated.  State Licensed Investigators (private) and psycologists can be appointed as a evaluator.

Check "SPARC"...links  http://www.deltabravo.net/cig-bin/custody

I have some of the sample reports "copied" so I can E-mail they too you if you like.