Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 12:22:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hey Wally! (and those parents who have school attendance problems)

Started by MixedBag, Feb 08, 2004, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MixedBag

I just got a phone call from my DH who is at work.

He's been asked to testify on behalf of a mother who just got picked up for TRUANCY.

Seems as if her son hasn't been attending school like he's supposed to and -- while I don't know who filed the charges, she's gotta appear in court and explain WHY to the judge.

Don't know the details -- like how old is the child, how often did he skip, who filed the charges, you know those things.

What can DH say in court?  Well, I know he's answered several calls to the home address for various things -- and he himself is not sure how he can help the mother besides telling the judge how many times he's been to the house and for what reasons.

I told you parents are ultimately responsible for a child's truancy!

Something some folks here might want to keep in mind....

wallyworld85

HEY THANKS for the info.  I was looking on the FL depart. of EDU website and found that it is considered truancy in FL for 9 tardies (unexcused) within a 9 week period.  The first 9 weeks my daughter had 10 unexcused tardies, the second she had 8 (only missed it by one!) ANd for this 9 week period (beginning since after xmas she has already had 9! (not to mention the 3 excused (when she actually called it in and the 3 unexcused absences).  So hopefully something will be done!

StPaulieGirl

I told you parents are ultimately responsible for a child's truancy!

[p]Something some folks here might want to keep in mind....

In mind?  I've spent the weekend going over Ca Dept of Education codes!  I found a loophole, but that isn't the answer.  My 24 yr old daughter told me this evening that I need to ship my 9 yr old and 16 yr old back to their father.  Basically "cut my losses".  If I do that to my 9 yr old, I will roast in hell.  I explained that since she doesn't have children of her own yet(not to mention that she is a hard hearted person), that she doesn't understand how much of a moral dilemma she is putting me in.

Mixed, I'm sure you've read the literature on PAS.  What you don't know is that PAS can be practiced by the NCP.  My kids are passive aggressive.  What I ask them to do, they will do the opposite.  Occasionally they will apologize, but hey I need to pay, right?  I'm not the one paying, they are!  Their education, such as it is in the CA gulag system, is the most important thing besides moral education(which you'll never get in a CA school).

Anyway, my back is up against the wall, and I fight best that way.  That's all I'm going to say.  

Have a nice evening....