Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 08:43:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Joint Legal Custody parental rights?

Started by Skooter95, Sep 25, 2004, 06:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skooter95

Does the non-custodial parent have the right to view school records, papers, class assignments, report cards etc and sign them if the child is with them on that particular day papers are sent home?

wendl

Yes
Under FERPA you are entitled by law to access school records ect.

read this:

//www.deltabravo.net/custody/ferpa.htm

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

Skooter95

Thank you!! Great site you referred me to.

mango

It seems to address access to paperwork, grades and stuff, but can the NCP sign up for ski-clubs and things?

The (school) paperwork/permission slips seem to be geared towards the custodial parent, and asks for the childs address. Even thought the child has two addresses would it be silly to list the address of the parent signing up for the activity or put the other parent address?

Can the other parent object to the activity if the activity only takes place on the NCP's parenting time?

It's a ski club and meets on dads time. Mother is not in favor I guess. But dad is. I think BM has daughter talked out of it now tho. SD was so excited about joining it too, now she is neatral. I think BM threatened her.

Skooter95

>It seems to address access to paperwork, grades and stuff,
>but can the NCP sign up for ski-clubs and things?
>
>The (school) paperwork/permission slips seem to be geared
>towards the custodial parent, and asks for the childs address.
>Even thought the child has two addresses would it be silly to
>list the address of the parent signing up for the activity or
>put the other parent address?
>
>Can the other parent object to the activity if the activity
>only takes place on the NCP's parenting time?
>
>It's a ski club and meets on dads time. Mother is not in favor
>I guess. But dad is. I think BM has daughter talked out of it
>now tho. SD was so excited about joining it too, now she is
>neatral. I think BM threatened her.

From my understanding, the NCP can sign up their child on any extra curricular activity as long as it doesn't interfere with the CP's time. I signed my daughter up for Ballet and she went every week because I have her every Wed and I did invite them to the recital and to come and see her if they wanted, whenever they wanted. That is their right. They actually cannot say anything about it especially if the child is with you during these times that the events are scheduled. They may not like it but that's what joint custody is.  She is with you and you are the responsible parent during these times. When she is with them, they are responsible. As long as you aren't pressuring your child to do something she doesn't want to do, I think its very much your right to sign her up if she wants to do it.

As far as the addresses go, I normally put the CP's address down because that's what they have on the school records but they also have my information as well.  I sign school papers, report cards etc when they come home with her when she is with me.  We also make copies for one another and keep a folder which holds all of her papers for that week, then we swap it back and forth. It has worked out great until he tried to stop me from receiving anything but I did fix that problem. I went down to the school with my divorce papers in hand and spoke with the principal and am allowed to view anything that involves my daughter. So thank you for everyone's advice.

wendl

Anytime :)

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**