Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 20, 2024, 12:14:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Positive News

Started by swilloug, Oct 05, 2004, 08:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swilloug

I just wanted to send an update on our custody modification for my SS.  I have posted a few times so you may or may not be familiar with the situation.

My now 13-year-old SS had failed school the last two years (5th and 6th grade, he is now in 7th grade).  In April of this year my husband and I decided to take BM to court for custody modification.  After court in August the judge decided he could not make a decision until SS was tested further for AD/HD.  This was BM excuse for his failing all though she had no problems with him in any other situation outside of school academics.  We knew that SS did NOT have AD/HD.  She also claimed that SS hated coming to our house because I (the Step-mom) spanked him weekly, we are drunks and we verbally abuse him daily (which is funny since we only get him EOW and specified holidays every other year).  These claims were pretty much blew off at the trial and the focus was on whether or not SS had AD/HD. The judge's last words to both attorney's and parents were- if this child has AD/HD he will stay with his mother because it is not all her fault but if the child does NOT have AD/HD custody would be granted to father.

Our attorney called yesterday and said my SS psychologist talked with his teachers and concluded no signs of AD/HD.  The teachers said SS has selective attention problems (what child doesn't) and SS has POSITIVE things to say about visits with dad.

Therefore our attorney is hopefull there will be a change in custody and we may not have to go back to the courtroom.  The judge may just review the report from the psychologist and make the decision.  

SS grades were mostly due to not turning in homework and poor homework scores.  BM made it clear to SS teachers the night we all met with his teachers that she would be bringing him to school every day and turning in all his homework to the office so that the teachers would receive all SS homework.  This has not happened therefor the school took it upon themselves to put SS a special "class" to help with his homework and to make sure it was done and turned in.  His grades are improving (from all F's to mostly C's--YEAH).  We knew he could do and we want him to keep it up.  This year the school had also put him in "special" classes or basic clases to help him more.

Please pray that things go in the right direction for my SS.  All we really ever wanted is for him to get a fair shake in life, and we think we can provide that better than she has or will.  We hope that the judge sees in our favor but if he doesn't we hope this will still be a turning point for SS academic improvement.  

I thank you all for your posts and support.  I wish you all well in your custody issues and hope that by the end of the month I can tell you another father wins!  We are hopeful we will know by the end of October.

Bolivar

I have not followed your story but my prayers are with you.

God Luck & God Bless!!