Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 03:54:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This is cool!

Started by Kitty C., Feb 10, 2004, 01:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty C.

Just talked to an atty., one who was recommended to me by an old atty. friend.  I had originally talked to him a couple weeks ago regarding filing and he gave me some great info just over the phone.  I explained to him that I have the initial petition filed now but that I just don't want to go thru this by myself.

He told me that, given that we have no kids to fight over and it's just property and debt, he won't charge the regular $2000 retainer.  He also said that it's obvious that I want to do as much of this as I possibly can to save on costs (which he commended me on, BTW) and that he can work 'in the background', advising me of what I need to be aware of and doing only what is absolutely neccesary.  

He asked me to send him copies of what I filed so far and to notify him when service has been done, then we can go from there and he will decide on a retainer fee then.  Right now it's looking like it may be around $1000 or maybe even less.  But I made it plain to him that I do not have an agenda, I do not want to take DH to the cleaners, I am not mad at him (just extremely disappointed and wish he'd get help), so he will not push me to do things I don't want to.  I'm liking this guy already and we haven't even met face to face!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

joni

amazing how the dynamics of a divorce...on so many levels....change when there's nothing (aka kids) to fight over.

Sounds like you're hanging in there.  Thanks for the update, I was just thinking of you.

StPaulieGirl

Good deal.  He sounds like a decent lawyer.  Seriously, if you don't have children and/or property in common, this shouldn't be hard.  Keep your chin up, Kitty!