Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 11:33:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

go beyond "Boys are stupid" efforts

Started by DonD, Feb 22, 2004, 02:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonD

If you do not know me, then allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Andy Duncan and I?ve been actively involved in Father/Children?s Rights since 1994.  In that time I?ve seen a lot of positive change, believe it or not things are actually better now than they have been in the past, but we still have a long way to go!  Two years ago we formed Fathersday D.C. Inc. as a non-profit corporation in an effort to raise awareness of Father?s/Children?s issues and to promote an annual event in Washington D.C. on Father?s Day each year.  It is our sincere hope that one day this event will be a celebration, but for now we have to settle for an educational event.  The need to sway public opinion in the favor of fathers is foremost on the agenda this year.  The positive promotion of the image of fatherhood and the healthy contributions that they make to the development and well being of their children cannot be overstated.  We have the statistics and studies to back our position; it is now time to ?Take it to the people!?

As an example of what we can do by working together in December of 2003 several ?Father?s Right?s? lists sent out messages about a T-shirt company called David and Goliath.  They produce a line of T-shirts with the phrase; ?Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them.?  An 800 number was provided and the members of the lists started calling the manufacturer as well as stores that carried their line expressing their outrage of the message that the shirt delivered.  The end result is that the shirts were pulled from the shelves of a few stores and perhaps more will follow as this effort still continues.  

At a time when we are trying to pull together to promote positive images of males and Father's this provided a little demonstration.  Together we can actually get a message heard.  Despite the fact that the message was delivered in many different ways, some were probably kind, obviously, some were not, we still managed to deliver a message.  The shirt and it's message were not acceptable to at least a minority and our voices were heard and our obvious displeasure with it is known.  Do you think they will be a little more sensitive to the subject of male bashing the next time someone there comes up with an anti male slogan?  I would guess that they will, they do not want to run up their 800 number with wasted calls or wasted time for employee's.  If you were to substitute any racial, religious or minority group would any store be willing to carry the shirts?

Now back to what we did manage to prove.  Despite the many messages and the manner of delivery, we all did something that really is phenomenal, we worked together.  At a time when the entire segment of ?Father?s Right?s? seems to have no direction we saw a message and situation that those of us that called didn't like and actually did something.  There was a goal and despite the fact it was a simple one we reached for it, we made the call, only by making the call did we make a difference.  

There is another goal coming in 5 months, it's called ?Be in Washington DC on Father?s Day.?  Despite the many platforms supported by individuals and groups that differ as much as the messages to this company you will once again have the ability to get your message in front of literally thousands of people.  All you have to do is put together a flyer and hand it to the people that will accept it as they walk past on the sidewalk.  Whether your message is father only custody, custody reform, court reform, infant circumcision, father choice abortion, or any other pro male/pro child message then you need to bring it.  We are not the censors of the material that you choose to distribute.  The main idea is for that on one day a year we work together to get out a message, your message, my message, and the message that Father's have been saying in the online forums for years now, WE ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!  We are organizing and we can make things better for our sons.  Only one obstacle stands in your way, and that's you.

If you start making plans now then you will have the time and the financial resources to get there and deliver your message.  If you do not plan ahead, then plan on failure.  Start planning now for yours and our Children's future.  Plan on being in DC on Father?s Day and make a difference.  Get a group together and split the expense of the trip and the lodging across 2 or 10 people depending on the size of the vehicle you can get.   Round trip on a Greyhound is not that expensive and groups can select delegates and help to fund getting 1 or 2 people there to represent the entire group, distribute the group?s message and literature, and of course they are welcome to speak if they so desire.  The idea is to get a message across.  It is no longer acceptable to mistreat Fathers in the courts across this land.  If we don't pull together now then I expect that our children will be dealing with something far worse than what we are currently faced with.

I will be there the Saturday before Father?s Day this year protesting on the West side of the US Capitol, please come by and visit, or better yet, come by and stay!  The main event will be on Father?s Day, Sunday, June 20th.  Make arrangements to meet with your Senator and congressman.  Contact me for any accommodations that you may need, we will work towards finding the best possible rate for a room and coordinate with other individuals and groups to get the best possible pricing.

Real change will only come with the education of the general public.  By coming to Washington DC on Father? Day you are given the opportunity to educate literally thousands of people, if they in turn educate only one other person then the amount of people that you reached was effectively doubled.  This type of outreach is what is needed to gain funding and funding is needed to bring the issue into the political arena.  If you want National attention then you have to be willing to make the sacrifice that it takes to get it.    

Hopefully in time the message reaches far enough to become an "Issue" in the minds of those that haven't been screwed by the system, then real change will come to the system as more people recognize divorce for the industry that it is and the long-term effect on our Children's future and our Country's future.  The long-term economic impact will be felt as the helpless, uneducated children of the current system become a greater percentage of the adult population.   The practice of using fathers as only ?pay checks? and not allowing father?s guidance and input to their children, needs to be exposed as to what the long-term impact will be on future of our country as the low and no self-esteem children mature into non-productive adults draining the economy to an even greater extent than the current welfare system is able to deal with

More information on :   //www.fathersdaydc.org

Andy Duncan
President ? Fathersday D.C. Inc.
1707 Bayou Grande Blvd. NE
St. Petersburg, Fl.  33703
913-757-3176
[email protected]