Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 07:57:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Unemployed, Daughter is 20 years old, & I owe back child support

Started by bulls922006, Nov 11, 2008, 04:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulls922006

Greetings,

Thank You For Your Time.

I am unemployed and I owe back child support.
My daughter is 20 years old and I live in Georgia.

I am a contractor (data/report analyst) and I have not had any steady consistent work/contracts this year and last year.

This year I have only worked about 17 weeks earning about $15,600 (before taxes).

They sent me a letter saying that they are going to suspend my license Nov. 30th.
They said I must pay $2,080 and $414.00 a month.

Where can I get free help for low income individuals?
How do I handle this situation?
Who can tell me what paperwork I need and who can review my paperwork to make sure it is correct and help me with this process?

Thank You For Your Time,
Gerald

Ref

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through these issues. One of the things that can help us out in answering your question is if you let us know what state you are in. The rule vary so much from state to state, it is hard to help out without knowing where your jurisdiction is.

When DH lost his job, he filed for a reduction in child support. His jurisdiction was in Florida and you can download family law forms and procedure instructions from a webpage. It would have been more likely that you could have gotten a temporary decrease in payments had you filed immediately after you lost your income.

Has there already been a hearing or is that what is going on on the 30th?

Best wishes
Ref

bulls922006

Thank You For Responding Sir.
I Do Appreciate It.

I live in Georgia. Fulton County.
I think this whole situation is unfair. My daughter is 20. I am unemployed.

I do not have my paperwork with me right now.
The paperwork is dated Oct. 31, 2008. It said that I have 30 days to respond.

Thank You Sir.

Quote from: Ref on Nov 11, 2008, 06:39:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you are going through these issues. One of the things that can help us out in answering your question is if you let us know what state you are in. The rule vary so much from state to state, it is hard to help out without knowing where your jurisdiction is.

When DH lost his job, he filed for a reduction in child support. His jurisdiction was in Florida and you can download family law forms and procedure instructions from a webpage. It would have been more likely that you could have gotten a temporary decrease in payments had you filed immediately after you lost your income.

Best wishes
Ref

bulls922006

I failed to mention that if I do not respond in 30 days, They will suspend my license.
The job market has been very bad. I have only worked 17 weeks this year contracting.

Thank You Again Sir.

Quote from: bulls922006 on Nov 13, 2008, 08:01:24 AM
Thank You For Responding Sir.
I Do Appreciate It.

I live in Georgia. Fulton County.
I think this whole situation is unfair. My daughter is 20. I am unemployed.

I do not have my paperwork with me right now.
The paperwork is dated Oct. 31, 2008. It said that I have 30 days to respond.

Thank You Sir.

Quote from: Ref on Nov 11, 2008, 06:39:32 PM

Best wishes
Ref

Ref

http://sca.fultoncourt.org/family/notice.php (http://sca.fultoncourt.org/family/notice.php)

On that page they have a number to call if you have financial issues and need help. If you click on continue it will bring you to the forms you may need. My best guess is tat you need to look the the answer packet, but don't listen to me. Call the number and see if you can get some assistance.

The worst thing you could do is ignore this. If at all possible I would recommend that you find some kind of work. Go on interviews. Go to the job bank and ask for help. Get some proof that you did all of this and bring it to the court and talk about it in your answer.

Here are a couple of other legal aid groups

Family Law Information Center (FLIC)
185 Central Avenue, Suite 704
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
404-335-2789

[/SIZE]Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers
235 Peachtree Street
North Tower
Suite 1750
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
404-521-0790
Serves: Fulton County
Hours: 9:00-12:00 M,T,W,F

[/SIZE]Atlanta Legal Aid Society
151 Spring Street, NW
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
404-524-5811
Hours: 9:00-5:00 M-F
Serves: Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnett, Cobb, and Clayton Counties

I hope this helps.

BTW, I'm a woman... but thanks for the "Sir". ;)

Good luck
Ref