Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 01:37:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Health care calculations

Started by twohomesoneheart, Apr 13, 2005, 05:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohomesoneheart

Does anyone know what the CA law is regarding the health benefits calculation?? I have asked the mom for her benefits broken down so I can be sure I am being charged correctly and not paying any type of portion of her spouse and stepkids.

When I asked for this she said that I didn't have to pay anymore. I requested them for the last two years that I did pay and she refuses. I would hate to pay an attorney to handle if there is a form or what not that I can request is filled out.

Please Help

MixedBag

If I understand you correctly, what you should be asking for is called an "Explanation of Benefits" because that breaks down how much the doctor charged and what the insurance allowed for each item for each date of service.

Then take a look at your order to see what your responsible for.

If she won't cooperate, get a hold of the doctor or dentist and stuff and ask them to send you an itemized bill.  If the insurance paid, then they will annotate the record and stuff and you can usually figure it out from there.

twohomesoneheart

Actually, and I should have been more clear...

I am responsible for paying for half of the medical insurance coverage for our two kids.  It is through her work that the medical insurance is handled.  I only want the break down that takes out the additional cost for spouse and additional children.  I know that they have her husbands three children on the plan as well.

I have no problem paying my half but is she not responsible for showing the actual calculation?

4honor

And are they older than your children? then conceivably there is no additional cost for your children as there would be a cost even without your children. (Though it would cost you more to prove it in court.)

BUT to be fair simply send a certified letter (return receipt requested) to your Ex/her attorney and state you will gladly pay for your half if she would be so good as to forward proof of the actual costs for the health insurance plans available 1) without the children, 2) with only the spouse, 3) for one child and 4) for multiple children. State you are sure that her Human Resources department can provide the information (it is usually all on one sheet that they give to new hires or when they change insurance.) Include a self addressed stamped envelope for their convenience.  Give her ten days to respond and state that if she does not respond you will take it as her acquiesence that there  is no additional cost for the chidlren's health care that she wishes to claim reimbursement for, (as with any insurance claim, the claimant must prove their costs.)

Make sure a copy of the letter and certification of the signed receipt make it into the court file.

-4honor
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

MixedBag

that the bottom line is probably that your order is vague and you might be better off asking the judge to clarify the original order.

Yes, you'll willingly pay what you're supposed to pay, BUT like 4-honor pointed out there's so many other considerations.

BTDT -- but in my case, I didn't make a fuss.

I'm order to provide the insurance, EX isn't.

Yet EX got a credit when the judge did the CS calculations for carrying insurance....which of course tips the scale to make my CS be a bit higher.  

See when he added our son, it didn't make his premiums go up at all because he already had two other children on the policy....so why should he get any adjustments?  Just not worth arguing in court....