Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 09:35:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Could it have been lower?

Started by ilovesavannah, Nov 19, 2008, 07:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilovesavannah

Hello to all.  I was just wondering.... I was going to put myself on child suppourt a while back to be able to have better visitation of my child... I ended up not doing it.  A few months later, my bm is putting me on child suppourt.  My question is, would the amount of money been lower if I put myself on it, than if she is putting me on it?  Just wondering because I hear so many different things. 

Thank you so much for your help!

ocean

No..stricky by the numbers...some states you may have to pay back for what you should of been paying...most times it goes from the date she filed. Bring what you have paid her ...cancelled checks work.
Did you file for the visitation part? Otherwise they will just do child support that day...

ilovesavannah

No I didn't... We are having a pre court hearing before you go into the official Court Room.  Me and the mother of my child talked, and I told her, the only way I'll agree to money, is if we can talk about joint custody in this meeting.  She says it can all be handled there.  I don't know, maybe she's just blowing smoke.  The thing is, I would like to get it done and over with that monday, but if they don't talk about joint custody or at least an inhanced form of visitation, then I'm not agreeing to anything and I'm just going to have to pony up money for a lawyer. 

Thanks for your response... What do you think?

tigger

They are supposed to be different issues though because some states take into consideration the amount of time spent with each parent when determining CS, it seems logical that you would need to nail down custody/parenting times before nailing down CS.

Then again, this is family court where Logic is a foreign concept.
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

ilovesavannah

I totally agree... Is Texas one of those States though?

ocean

I would call the family court and ask them if visitation is being addressed at this hearing? Here it is not together so be very careful. You do not have to agree....then they will send you in front of a judge that day and they will just order child support and nothing in writing about visitation. Call...ask them...see if you need to file anything so you can talk about visitation at this meeting..