Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 11:56:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Interstate child visitation advice and support needed

Started by ender, Jan 05, 2009, 01:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ender

My name is Jared and I am 29 years old. In 1995 when i was 15 i was married and we were pregnant. There was an argument between our parents and K's (my wife) mother loaded her up in the car for a "vacation" and never came back. Later in the year K filed for an annulment from Denver Co. In early December she was granted the annulment and custody and visitation was established by the judge. Joint legal custody was granted with her maintaining physical custody. Paternity was agreed upon by K and visitation was set for us to work it out or in the case of that failing thew court would.  The problem was she disappeared completely. My family hired private investigators and attorneys but she was no where to be found. After 12 years of searching I found them myself using an internet search. I called and K played along and said she wanted to keep the lawyers out of it and set up something amicable.  She promptly changed her phone number and I did not have an address at that time. I decided to give it some time and looked for her again in the summer. I discovered that she had moved but i did not know where.  At the beginning of this year i found her on Myspace and emailed her imploring her to just communicate and not hide anymore. My primary goal is to let my daughter know i am her father (I have no idea if Kristina has even told her since she is married again) and hopefully when the time is right initiate visitation. She promptly deleted her Myspace account. Three months later I was able to locate both her new pohone number and address. My personal attorney has advised me to contact a lawyer in California who has expertise in Interstate Child Custody matters which are settled in federal court.  My question is does anyone have any advice or suggestions in addition to hiring an attorney.
To tell you the truth it has been a long hard road and I am weary of the dodging and weaving. I could really just use some support and to know there are others going or who have gone through the same thing. Thanks for your time.

Jared

Waylon

Quote from: ender on Jan 05, 2009, 01:49:49 PM
My personal attorney has advised me to contact a lawyer in California who has expertise in Interstate Child Custody matters which are settled in federal court.  My question is does anyone have any advice or suggestions in addition to hiring an attorney.

I wish I had something more substantive to tell you, but your attorney's suggestion is probably the best route to go. If you can prove paternity you may also be able to get a judge to institute a parenting plan but after this much time it'll be complicated- they'll probably ask for a stepped reunification or something along those lines.
The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

MixedBag

Gestalt

He may not have to prove paternity- there are already court orders regarding this family