Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 09:42:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

cant afford attorney

Started by mrbopatt, Jan 05, 2009, 12:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbopatt

I recently was hit with papers to return to court in mississippi for an increase in child support my ex said she isnt making it on her pay due to the economy.  Due to the economy my job as a car salesman has hit rock bottom.  I owe money to the dealership i work for.  I can barely make my payment but i always pay on time.  I cant afford an attorney to even represent me and have to appear in 2 weeks.  Any advice greatly appreciated

tigger

I'm not sure how Mississippi works but if it's strictly by the numbers, your ex is in for a rude awakening as it won't increase if you're not earning more than when the order was written.
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

mrbopatt

thanks for the advice.  My pay has increased since this was 13 years ago that the ruling was made, however I am not currently making anything as has been the case for 4 months.  Do you have any advice on whether or not I can appear without an attorney.

ocean

You can always go without a lawyer. Bring recent paystubs....(maybe your taxes if you do them in time, if it shows a decrease). A letter from your employer stating your current salary (or from the past 4 months). You could probably ask for a downward modification....but you would need to file a counter-claim to hers.