Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 07:45:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I've been out of the US for 24 years

Started by JoeBloggs, May 15, 2008, 02:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeBloggs

I was divorced in Texas in 1984. I was essentially bankrupted and had a huge tax lien over my head. I couldn't fight the battle to exist and my ex forbade my son from contacting me. I left the US to pull my self up. I paid Child Support for a while and eventually stopped altogether. My son is 34 now and I haven't had any contact since about 1985 by letter.

I am now a citizen of another country and haven't been in the US since 1984. What are the rules in the US if I visited the US. Will I be arrested at the border? I will never return to live in the US but may have to visit soon.

Is there a statute of linitations on the payment of child support?

I would be very grateful for your advice.

Giggles

NO...there is no statute of Limitations...CS much like taxes is FOREVER.   I think the only way to have it eliminated is for your X to "forgive" it or to die....
Now I'm living....Just another day in Paradise!!

tigger

The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

JoeBloggs

Thanks for your replies.

I do not seek to be forgiven for a thing. My question is will I be arrested returning into the US. Is non payment a Federal crime now and am I on some sort of watch list?

Thanks...and no I won't return just to learn what happens when I do.

Davy

Hope this helps.  I know first hand the Texas divorce industry in 1984. My sons are 34 and 37 while my daughter is 38.  Any of my kiddos or myself would assist your son and you in gaining a relationship.  I have always advocated for child support while despising the system.

in researching this issue I found an excerpt (below) from a speech in 2006 by Homeland Security (ie border patrol).  Also, I ran into an article about arresting 106 people from 28 different countrys in a sweep of the midwest U.S.  Those arrests mentioned child support arrears but only in conjunction with really harsh criminal warrants.  A Texas border patrol agent could'nt answer a direct question concerning CS and directed me to a point-of-entry location (never got thru).

One example is various kinds of screening tools.  At various times, we've talked about rolling out tools that we can use to screen people to make sure terrorists don't get on airplanes or don't get into sensitive buildings, and then you start to hear arguments that we should start to use these screening tools to serve other purposes -- find people, for example, who are in arrears on their child support, or people who perhaps have misdemeanor warrants that are outstanding.  And it's not to say that these aren't goals that are serious and worthwhile in themselves, but when we dilute the mission, when we impose restrictions to achieve a single end and then we start to use those restrictions to achieve other ends as well, we run the risk of breaking faith with the American people who, after all, take us at our word.  What they believe is if we say we're here to fight terrorism, we should be focused on doing that and not trying to serve other ends at the same time.

Best to you and your son.

mplsfitter539

The statute of limitations does exit for child support but it depends on which state you are in. I know that in Minnesota which is where I was from before moving to Costa Rica under the same terms as you, 10 years from the last year owed. So when my daughter turns 18 I will have to wait until she is 28 to not owe the money. As far as being arrested upon entry goes that is something I would like to know also. I know that the passport can be taken away if you are $5000 behind which means once back you can't leave. Nice free country huh? Free to pay how ever much you are told to pay or loose your freedom.

ajs

My guess is - yes you will be stopped at port of entry. You may be notified to appear in the court instead of arrest at the moment.

ajs

one more thing, did you have any problem at the country you currently live in? did they not have child support agreements? I guess if your ex does not know where you are, does not matter.