Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 20, 2024, 01:13:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Divorced Father Seeks Equal Protection - Invokes 14th Amendment

Started by gemini3, Mar 02, 2009, 04:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemini3

I came across this article in the news recently.  A Tennesse father, also an attorney, is challenging the courts decision regarding custody of his daughter under the 14th Amendment. 

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=87398 (http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=87398)

I was amazed that I could find only two articles, by relatively unknown news sources, covering this issue.  This decision will be, in my opinion, bigger than any other civil rights action in decades.  There are thousands of divorce actions initiated daily - and this decision could affect each and every one of them.

The case is in the briefings stage, with the next hearings scheduled in April.  It's still in the very early stages, but it's a beginning, and definitely something to watch.

trystero

Someone standing up to a biased system!  Now this should be something that the Obama administration is all about....equality under the law.  Thanks for posting this.  We dad's should all watch this one closely.  Unfortunately here in Colorado, seems the court is reluctant to actually 'judge or rule'.  Barring any substantiated claims, 50/50 is the way to go.  But this combined with sometimes strangling child support can mean a lower quality of life for the child(ren) involved. 

Take my case.  I have 50/50 arranged custody.  I have to pay my ex- over $700 month in child support.  Do the kids get any benefit from this money, not really.  No extra curricular activities, only half time in the things we can enroll them in when they're with us (dance, karate, etc.).  Child support goes to paying mortgage and car payments.  If resources were allocated more fairly, what a different life my kids could have.  College fund, full time participation in things like dance, martial arts or scouts....

Blows...

Hope this guy goes to the mattresses on this!