Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 10:01:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Any Advice on Ending Therapy?

Started by gemini3, Mar 04, 2009, 02:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemini3

My husband has been ordered by the court to attend "co-parenting therapy".  He has complied, and has attended for the last 18 months.  His ex picked the therapist, the dates, and the times.  He asked for two times a month, she would only agree to go once a month, so that's what they did.

Long story short, it hasn't really gotten us very far - just has cut back on the amount of nasty e-mails we get from her.  Other than that, she lies in every appointment, doesn't stick to agreements made in the appointments, etc.  More than anything it's added stress on our part.

During our last appointment she confessed to (yet another) violation of our trust and privacy.  We have decided that the sessions are useless because there has to be a foundation of trust in order for them to work together, and she is completely unable to maintain that.  So we are going to discontinue.

My questions are:

1.  If the court order didn't specify how long, do you think we've fulfilled our obligation?

2.  Is there anything we should do to wrap up loose ends - such as request copies of notes?  I'm worried that we won't be able to get them if we need them at a later date.

If anyone has had experience with this I would appreciate the advice.

*iLUVmySD*

What has the therapist said regarding ending the sessions due to lack of improvement?  I would see the therapist's opinion playing a big part in whether or not you should continue to go, especially if the therapist was a witness later on.  I would definitely get whatever documentation you can to cover yourselves against whatever the future holds.