Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 08:33:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Child Custody

Started by dmineo5, Jul 11, 2005, 05:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmineo5

I am a single father trying to get joint custody of my 15 month old son.  I am financially capable as well as emotionally willing to take care of my son on a full time basis.  However, I realize that he needs his mother also.  I am willing to accept joint legal and custodial custody.  His mother does not want me to have this much control.  She had kicked  me out the front door in November 2004 and at that time was refusing to let me see my son at all!  I got an attorney and took her to court.  We are curently abiding by the agreement signed at that time. She currently has me on a every other weekend/ three hours during the week schedule.  At the time of this agreement I was so glad just to get time with my son that I did not really think about what I was signing. We visit the issue in court again in September.  I need assistance or suggestions as to how to approach the courts as I know that they are partial to the mother.  I am just as capable a parent as a father and she is as a mother.

determined

Decide exactly what you feel is best for your child, specify such in a proposed parenting agreement, and don't settle for less.  

The mother bias is incredible, and the only thing you can do to mitigate it is to push the focus where it belongs - the child's best interests.

flewwellin

I believe that it is almost always in the child's best interest to have their father in their lives. (Not including those extreme cases, such as child abuse, etc.)  And pray for a male judge.  They tend to be more in favor for fathers. Or at least in my personal experience.  

dmineo5

Thanks for replying.  I do have a male judge.  I am doing everything I can to make a good case for why I should be granted joint custodial/legal custody.  I think the mother is just angry that we could not make it work out between the two of us and is using the baby to control the situation.  

dmineo5

Thanks for the reply.  I am doing everything I can to put together a child care plan.  I have signed up for parenting classes, will be interviewing a pediatrician in my area, checked into medical insurance coverage for the baby and will be going onto a waiting list for child care while I am at the office working.  I am self employed so I will be spending more time in the in-home office, however, I will need to go into the off home office on a daily basis for some period of time.

flewwellin

I truly hope everything works out for you.  It's not easy to be a dad that is interested in his child because every time you turn around you are getting screwed somehow someway.  However don't let it weaken you!  Fight for your baby at least you will know you did your best.