Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 04:40:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Attempting to get visitation help!

Started by jdmccabe, Apr 06, 2009, 07:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdmccabe

I was released six months ago after being incarcerated for two years during which my x divorced me. She had custody of our daughter. At the time of divorce the judge set off my support payments until next month (May) which at the time was my release date but like I said I got out early. I won't go into it but my conviction had nothing to do with my daughter.
    I am currently unemployed. Even so since my release I have payed my X over 1000.00 that I have picked up doing odd jobs. This in spite of the fact that I wasn't required by the court to begin paying until may.
    Since my release my X has only let me see my daughter twice. She is using her because she is still mad at me. I want to get visitation rights but I can't afford an attorney. Any suggestions about how I should proceed? I don't have a clue ! By the way I am in Arkansas

MixedBag

What did your divorce decree say regarding your rights at your child's father?

Anything?

And then go to the county clerk's office and see if they have any preprinted forms or self-help information.

You may qualify for legal aid.

After you look at all that and see where you stand, you might wanna still save up and hire an attorney.  It's not easy to represent yourself pro-se in court.

jdmccabe

I talked to legal aid and they sent me a letter. It seems that I do qualify however the letter says that because of a shortage of staff they are not taking any cases or at least not my case.

As for the divorce decree it really doesn't give me anything except for part of the money from the sale of our house my X has full custody. Since I was locked up at the time my then lawyer said not to sweat it I could apply for visitation when I got out but now the money is gone and so is he !