Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Frustrated Dad Needs Advice  (Read 3661 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Frustrated Dad Needs Advice
« on: May 19, 2009, 01:38:50 PM »
We have two children. Never married but we lived together for 7 years.  The break up was messy and she went after child support after we broke up. We have no child custody in place at this time as neither one of us has gone to court.  She picks up and moves the kids every year to a different address and I always end up not knowing where they are at.  When I finally find out where she's living (usually through some document sent through child support) she only lets me visit.  I cannot take the kids with me anywhere.  When I lost my job, she wouldn't let me see them at all until I started paying child support again.  I found a job, started paying child support again, but there's always some excuse as to why the kids aren't home so I can't even visit them at this point.  They're either off with her mother or her brother has picked them up.
I have no child abuse, felony, domestic violence or any crime sheet at all.  I have a stable environment, a place for them to sleep comfortable should they be able to spend the night and I am working.
I called the Jackson County Family Division (Kansas City, MO) and that's where I found out father's really don't have a lot of rights to their kids.  I found out I just couldn't walk in and file papers requesting visitation rights.  The laws are so complicated that you need a lawyer to do this for you.  I don't have $1,500 and because I don't have the $1,500 I don't get to see my kids and there's nothing the State can do for me.  It has been beyond frustrating dealing with the family court.  I don't know where else to turn to.  Don't know what else to do.  I tried Legal Aid but they only work cases where there is child abuse present.  So these kids not being a part of their father's life is not detrimental to their health??  I just don't get it.  All I want to do is spend time with my kids.  I'm not looking to run away with them or cause any trouble.  Just want to spend time with them - see how they're doing in school and stuff like that.
Any advice?
Thanks for reading.


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated Dad Needs Advice
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2009, 04:28:59 PM »
Sad to see that 236 people have read your post and there is no one that knows anything that can help you!
I am so very very sorry!
I pray you see your babies soon.
I am here researching for my daughter's boyfriend who is 20 and has only seen his son twice.  He pays child support but he can't do anything without $$$ to pay an attorney.
God bless you dads...in MISSOURI you need it!
Grandma K


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.