Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 12:18:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

concerta

Started by ineedanswers, Dec 01, 2003, 11:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4honor

PLease go buy him the book "The Hyperactivity Hoax" it will help him to help a professional to properly diagnose the child. 4 is too young, but there are many problems children have that mimic the symptoms of ADD/ADHD... heart and lung problems, sleep deprivation, genetic disorders, heavy metal poisonings, etc. Vision problems are the most common ailment that is misdiagnosed as ADD/ADHD.

Also, just a personal observation... Children tend to be "diagnosed" ADHD two to 4 years following a divorce when there is a high conflict on the part of one or both parents.

Concerta is not cleared for a child as young as that. Get the child taken through a battery of tests at the local children's hospital. Take time off to get it done. Methylphenidate is HARD on the heart... if the child has pre-existing heart problem, it could cause a heart attack. (Worst case scenario.) Better safe than sorry.

A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

StPaulieGirl

Also, just a personal observation... Children tend to be "diagnosed" ADHD two to 4 years following a divorce when there is a high conflict on the part of one or both parents.

[p]Good point, but never discount the "genetic quotient".  Hook up with psychos, repent at leisure.  

[p]My son was in diapers, and learned how to disable the childproof things on the wall outlets.   After he popped them off, he'd stick something into the outlet, which would then blow out all the power in the house.  I have been through hell with this child, who is now 16.  Lock up your daughters, because he's good looking :(

nosonew

Went thru this.  SS was put on Ritalin, Risperdal, Concerta, Adderal, etc.  He was on Ritalin and Risperdal at age 5.  It took 4 years to get it court ordered that our states' "foremost expert on ADHD" be his one and only physician for this problem. (She currently was taking him to a so called psychiatrist working out of a garage).  The NEW psychiatrist who specialized in children with ADHD, found "very mild ADD, NO other psychiatric disorders, and could not believe he had been on Risperdal for 4 years as it has not been tested in children."

We literally had to force the court to do this, and the court agreed just to "get us off her back about it".  However, we prevailed and got him off of the Risperdal, and the doctor changed the med to Concerta from Ritalin and then now is on low dose Adderal.  We take ss to him 1xyear, and expect to be able to get him off all drugs by 10th year in school (he is now in 8th).  

Most behavior problems with children of divorce/separated parents come from the stress this brings the kids.  They don't know how to react, and react in a defiant way and/or "just leave", thus people think they don't pay attention.  

Our ss went off the meds for 2 weeks, his grades improved, but behavior declined.  Until he has safely been with us (yes, just recently custodial parents), we will not take him off meds prescribed earlier this year.

Best of luck and just a suggestion: "Don't ever say the child "doesn't have add/adhd" as you are not a physician.  Just state, "I am just concerned these behaviors are some how related to the stressful situation the child is in". Etc.

Good luck

Wi-Mom

>[em]FIRST:[/em]
>Make sure the child is taking the medication as perscribed as
>advised above. It can seriously hurt a child if medications
>are not givin correctly. AND, his ex can have fathers butt for
>neglect if he refuses to give the medications as a DR
>perscribed.

I have recently put my 12 year old son on concerta just two months ago. Honestly, it's been a god-send (despite how defeated I feel about it) although I do agree with everyone else that having a 4 year old on ADHD meds is absolutely absurd! I just wanted you all to know that when my Dr prescribed the concerta he said that my son should NOT take it on weekends or holidays when he is not in school. When I picked up my prescription, I asked the pharmacist about it and she said that it is recommended that the child be OFF the medication when they are not in school. That's what I've been doing, and it's a relief with the holidays coming up he'll have some extended time off the medication. Thanks.