Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 11:00:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No Custody or Child Support Order

Started by PaMom, Jun 02, 2009, 06:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaMom

My daughter's father and I have never had a child support or custody order since we split 6 years ago.  We were never married and always could do things just between us.  He insists he gives me more than I deserve ($600 per month) and sees his daughter every other weekend, nothing more.  He doesn't call during the 2 week period.  He makes approximately $50,000 (though I've never seen pay stubs).  I am a full time student and work part time in retail.  I also get a subsidy for my daughters after school care, so I don't have to pay anything.  When discussing the future and child support, he told me he won't give me anymore money, so if I feel I need more I should take him to court and he'll file for custody, which he "can swing these days" (his words,  not mine).  Does anyone know how to figure out approximate child support payments.  Once I graduate, I know we'll have to go to court because I won't be able to pay the entire amount of after school care, which is $440 per month.

Also,  within the next 5 years or so, I'd like to be married to my boyfriend and move closer to NY, where he my daughter's father is also originally from.  What are the guidelines with moving.  It's about 140 miles from where we live to NY.  At one time, he lived in PA while I still  lived in NY and he still saw her every other weekend without problems.  This would be the same situation, just reversed.  Any insight on this? 

I live in PA, as does my daughter's father.

Thanks  so much!

ocean

Child support is a percentage of their salary and depends on the state. In my state it is 17% for one child. Look on-line for PA child support numbers and see.
Once you have custody in place with visits, it may be hard to move out of state. A lot of orders , have a 30 mile limit to move so watch what you agree to if you do it before you move.

ksmarks

With no custody or support order currently in place you can move, however, you are talking about a move in 5 years.  Things change, and the child grows older, dad has family in NY but do you?  Do you have family in PA?  The fact that you were never married does have some basic tennets that are currently scewed in your favor, however the fact that he has been paying you some support gives him some credit as well.

You have to check with your state in NY we  have  the child support standards act, 17% of combined parental income up to 80k, any award over that has to be explained.  there are  other factors and add-ons, child care expenses and medical, etc.

Where was the daughter born?

who claims the child on income taxes? 
KSMarks

asof2005

Quote from: ocean on Jun 02, 2009, 07:05:30 PM
Child support is a percentage of their salary and depends on the state. In my state it is 17% for one child. Look on-line for PA child support numbers and see.
Once you have custody in place with visits, it may be hard to move out of state. A lot of orders , have a 30 mile limit to move so watch what you agree to if you do it before you move.

what state do you live in?  is there a maximum?  at ours there is no specific % per child, they can take up to 60% of the paycheck (no matter how many children)

CuriousMom

PaMom -

In PA, too.  Here is the link for the DR website, https://www.humanservices.state.pa.us/CSWS/index. (https://www.humanservices.state.pa.us/CSWS/index) 

MrCustodyCoach

I can tell you that given his alleged salary and yours and with him as a non-custodial parent, he would owe you at least $800/month (with childcare factored in).

With no orders in place for anything, both of you can do the following:

- He can pay you nothing at all.  Of course, then you would have to file for a child-support order and they will only go back to the date you filed.

- You can go anywhere you want.  There are no formal orders in place.  Of course, he can file for an injunction to prevent your move-away pending a custody hearing.

Someone is going to have to the pull the trigger on this mess.  If you do it for support... don't get on being able to move to NY anytime soon.  If you don't do anything and move to NY, you can bet he'll try to jump all over that and immediately file for custody in PA, giving PA jurisdiction over everything.

Quite the set of problems you have there.
Mr. Custody Coach - Win Child Custody "Better Prepared, Better Outcome"

*The opinions in this post are solely my own and do not represent the only way to address any particular issue.