Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 04:57:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

pro se divorce inquiry

Started by threadstar, May 29, 2009, 10:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threadstar

I have lived with my spouse 20 years..we have been married 14 of those years and are ready to call it quits. He has the house in his name..it is our only property. He has other retirement accounts and private bank accounts ..he started moving assets some time ago unbeknownst to me. I was told I could file pro se..but need info from anyone who has done this in Wisconsin. I am not seeking the house or a 50/50 split I do need money to relocate..He wrecked the car I used (not new) and took the cash..so I can't get to work (I am rural). I am seeking money enough to have transportation/move my things/and money to cover move in and 3 months rent in an apartment. Does anyone have experience in this?

ocean

What state are you in? Depends on the state but if you were married that long in my state everything would be split 50/50 including things that he has put in his name. Go see a lawyer, first appt is usually free. Call the courts and see if you qualify for a free lawyer but try and see what a reg lawyer says first. He can be forced to pay for certain bills now. See if you can copy bank statements, retirement papers now before anyone leaves the house. Don't leave the house until this is settled or you would be considered abandonment.

threadstar

thank you for the excellent and straightforward advice.

MixedBag

She' in Wisconsin.

Here in AL, if you've been married over 10 years, it's considered an asset that can be divided.

So -- that's worth looking in to.

I suggest you find the Wisconsin State Law or Code and read through it.

Cumbersome, but worth it.

And some stuff or things are gonna be defined in what's called "case law" and we aren't attorney's here nor do we have access to stuff like that.

ksmarks

Check out the your states unified court web site, I cannot post the link as I am a new member, however, just checked and there are resources available to you so that you could proceed on your own.  In New York State we have Law libraries that are staffed with extremely compentent and knowledgeable staff that help residents find both codified and case law. 
KSMarks

equality4PTdads

Should apply, "Community Property".  You get 50/50 even retirement. Dont be foolish and walk out. Make him move, like the poster said, would be considered abandonment.  Ive been to court half a dozen times Pro se, because im broke from attorney fees. Not that difficult.
Main thing is to find someone's name you know who got divorced, get a copy of the decree and use that as a reference syllabus and start typing. File.  Call around, you might be surprised to find that some attorney will work with you on payment esp if they know you're going to get a settlement. You'll get the jist of it. Dont ask the Circuit Clerk for anything but paperwork thats all they'll offer. Document, document and document everything! Cant stress that enough.

threadstar

thanks to everyone this is very helpful.