Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 08:25:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

no job no way to pay child support

Started by swing88, Jun 17, 2009, 05:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swing88

i have a 5yr old son and his mom has me on child support for 325 a month. i dont have a job so i have no way of paying what should i do or what can i do

ocean

Did you just lose your job? Pay something each month , even if it $25. Go to court and ask for a downward modification in child support. You will have to prove their is a reason for change (you just lost your job..). You need to show the court you are actively looking for work. Bring a list of places you called or sent resumes to each week. They may lower it for a while until you get a job.

bpaul9999

This situation has also happened to me. 

I was laid off and had to wait 60 days to get a hearing to get my support lowered while paying the full amount.  The overstressed county female employee decided that I had not looked for ENOUGH jobs so she left my support as is based on a 140k salary when I am on unemployment and make about 7% of that now!   

I have appealed but I must keep paying the full amount or go to jail until I can appeal to the master another 60 days or so  I am through all my savings and just cashed in my IRA to help make end meet - when that runs out I am at my wits end and unsure what I will do.

I was only applying to jobs I thought I would really get and there is not many out there these days.  Don't make the same mistake apply to everything at all income levels  and DOCUMENT each one or else

brwneyedmom

I agree.  I got into trouble with the court when I testified that I had not applied for nurse practitioner openings.  I replied that I didn't have a master's in nursing and was told that that was a poor excuse by the judge.  You can't be a nurse practitioner in Oregon without a master's degree.  From that point on, I applied for every single job, even if I was not qualified.  It was a small sense of satisfaction when I applied to be the judge's court assistant (not qualified).  I'm personally glad that I was able to waste someone's time on my useless application.  This was in a county in which there were NO nursing vacancies for quite some time, which doesn't happen often.  The funny thing was that I was willing to stipulate to a nurse's wage but not to a nurse practitioner's.  I'm glad that I won that argument finally.
Apply for everything.  Leave no stone unturned.  You never know where a door will open.  I got a job once by volunteering to work flu shot clinics.  I was hired the next day at two high schools in their medical office.  Amazing, at the time.

edited to add: some other poster stated that the courts are reluctant to change support orders with the economy as bad as it is.  The belief was that a new job would appear, making the modification moot.  I don't know if this is true or not; might it be in your area? 
Good luck to you.  You shouldn't have to go through all this.  Is BM of a mindset to help you out while you are unemployed?

Momfortwo

Quote from: swing88 on Jun 17, 2009, 05:02:30 PM
i have a 5yr old son and his mom has me on child support for 325 a month. i dont have a job so i have no way of paying what should i do or what can i do

Why don't you have a job?