Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 01:52:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

No benefits for LA girl born from dead man's sperm

Started by Waylon, Jun 18, 2009, 11:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waylon

Somehow, this seems right to me.

No benefits for LA girl born from dead man's sperm

PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - A U.S. appeals court says a California girl conceived from the frozen sperm of a dead man cannot receive his Social Security benefits.

A panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals issued its decision Wednesday, ruling the girl wasn't dependent on her father at the time of his death.

The case involves sperm that Bruce Vernoff's widow, Gaby, ordered extracted after he died unexpectedly in 1995 from an allergic reaction. It was kept frozen for 15 months before she became pregnant and in 1999 gave birth to Brandalynn.

She applied for child survivor benefits from the Social Security Administration but was rejected, and a legal battle ensued.

A call seeking comment from the widow's attorney was not immediately returned Thursday.
The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

ksmarks

While I can appreciate the widow's desire to have her husband's child, I do have a issue with the child not having a father.  I wonder what dad would have  thought?
KSMarks

MixedBag

seems right to me as well because MOM is asking the GOVERNMENT for money to support this child.....because the father passed away. 

Mom's choice to have this child because it was subsequent to the father's death.

The government shouldn't step in and have to support.

ksmarks

I can't help but also wonder if dad would have wanted mom to go through with utilizing his sperm if he passed away?  I can't see my kids dad ever wanting that.
KSMarks