Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 05:26:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Summer Possession

Started by Jase396, Jun 19, 2009, 07:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jase396

OK... I am a father in which has custody of my daughter and this is the first summer in which we will be going through summer possession. The mother never gave written notice to me about the summer visitation so thus for she ended up saying she would get her when she gets out for the summer till the thirty days are which is what the order states. Just before my daughter was to get out for summer vaca the mother told me she coulodnt get her cause she didnt have anyone to watch her so i kept her since then she has not seen her.. So my question is can she get her at anytime to finish up her summer possession or did she give that up??? she still has a week or so left... BTW we reside in texas

MixedBag

if the order gives specific instructions like that, then I'd say Mom gave it up.

Long term thinking, I'd say as long as you don't mind, it's in the best interest of the child to allow the child time with mom if mom comes later and says "I have a babysitter".

On the flip side, since this is all new -- whatever you do this summer is also setting a precedence for next summer.

Just make sure you take this lose/lose situation -- because the child is not getting time with Mom (thank you Mom) into a win/win situation.

Jase396

Trust me I would want nothing more then for her to be able to spend time with the mother but there is a reason I won custody and then there is the part that really erks me which is.. OK so the mom doesnt work and she has since been to the bahamas and califonia for some vaca/partyin...I mean seriously....... I have since made plans to do things with my family and I would be really upset if she just swooped back in and said OK (i'm done partying for now I would like to get her)

MixedBag

Well it sounds like one parent has their priorities straight and the other simply has a different set of priorities.

Focus on what's best for your child.

Filter all thoughts THROUGH that filter.

And 99% you come up with the right answer.

ksmarks

Did you have to inform her of when you would be taking your summer vacation?  If so you should already be covered, if not you might want to now, just save yourself any potential hassels; or like my husband says you can let sleeping dogs lie.

If something does come up just remind her that you each had summer time visitation, and now you are in your period of that and have plans. 

It sounds as if you are more than willing to let your child spend time with her mother when you don't already have plans, that goes a long way, and even if she did swoop in she wouldn't get any relief even if she went to court in a timely manner as it takes time, she is way better off, just asking nicely for a make up time, or whatever.

Try to enjoy your plans with your daughter and don't cross that other bridge until you have too!  

Best wishses!

K
KSMarks