Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 12:36:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

17 yo daughter wants to live with me

Started by Otto Mann, Oct 04, 2005, 05:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otto Mann

Brief summary of case.....

Seperated 6½ years ago, daughters 11 & 7 at the time. Mother was given primary custody (I am the father). Mother alienated kids against me. I fought for 4 years to no avail. No one believed a word I said (except a GAL who just didn't carry enough weight). My daughters lied, said they hated me, didn't want to have anything to do with me, balked at court ordered visitation, even sexual abuse allegations (twice)etc....I finally walked away about 2 years ago (said I would never give up, but I did). I didn't see or speak to them for about 8 months. Out of the blue I get a letter from my oldest daughter (15 at the time) saying she was tired of the BS (verbal, physical abuse) and wanted to live with me. I met with both daughters and they told me everything I had been trying to tell the court for 4 years that no one would believe (or maybe they just didn't care?). At the time I wasn't convinced that my daughter would stand up to her mother (by NOW telling the truth that she had been scared to tell for 4 years) so I basically brushed it off. Now about 1½ years later (daughters are now 17 &13) it has come up again. I believe at this time the 17 yo would be able to tell anyone what has transpired over the last 6½ years, whether it be a judge, custody evaluator, therapist, etc. I can't say the same for the 13 yo. The 13 yo says she doesn't want to be left alone with her mother though.

Would like some input on chance of changing custody (I WILL NOT be retaining counsel)

stk_agn

In my state (Kentucky) a child can choose which parent they want to live with at age 13 or 14 and there is nothing the CP can do about it because of child's age.

I would assume that if there was a similiar law in your state, your children could tell judge what they have decided and the BM can not stop them.

I would check with an attorney to find out if this could be an option for you.