Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 06:40:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Shared" transportation

Started by justme, Jul 03, 2009, 05:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MixedBag

Thanks, I did go back and re-read -- doesn't help that two folks in this thread have such close names. 

I still say that based on past practices, they've set a precedence of trying to meet half way, sometimes Mom does more, sometimes less.

Dad will win a motion for clarification to have transportation be 50/50 to include the option of a train ticket that returns the child at 6:10 pm on Sundays.

Mom lost the opportunity to make the fact that dad moved away an issue.

Kitty C.

Volunteer is just that....'volunteer', which means you do it at a time convenient to you.  I am a member of a volunteer EMS unit as well.  Quite a few years ago, we used to have schedules similar to what you describe.  If we were assigned a specific time, we could NOT leave the area beyond a mile perimeter around town (small rural town in IA).  Given that DS was under 10 at the time, I frequently had to change my schedule to accomodate his transportation to see his dad (LD...then I had to drive 4 hours to O'Hare to pick up/drop off).  About 3-4 years after joining (in 1994), we did away with schedules, since we had more personnel, as long as we had a minimum of 2 people on a call.

So bottom line on your EMS work, talk to whomever you need to if you have to change the schedule in order to accomodate your child.  She comes first.

As for who is responsible for transportation, both you and your ex have set a precedence in working together and accomodating on this up to this point.  Given that it's a 4 hour trip and your DD now can ride the train unaccompanied, that would be the best alternative you could come up with, IMO.  And if you've 'shared' in transportation the entire time up to this point, that doesn't change.  If you've both driven all this time (which also means you've spent money for the gas), then it would seem to be an easy transition to splitting the cost for a train ticket instead.

JMO, but if you choose to fight this, I agree with another poster in that I have a feeling the court will require you to 'maintain status quo' and you and your ex will have to split the cost of the tickets. It's really not that different than splitting the cost of gas if you drive.  You have established a precedence with the history you have up to this point.  One of your jobs as parents is to make the transitions as easy as possible for your child.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

superdad01

Just pay 1/2 and be done with it. You can save yourself a ton of headache. He's already paying for it anyways.

I don't think a parent should be punished for moving. They did what they had to do.