Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 09:47:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CS Question

Started by superdad72, Jul 19, 2009, 12:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superdad72

I have three children from a previous marriage and the oldest recently turned 18. My ex and Ib are in the process of reducing child support through the state.  The other day I received paperwork to complete and the state is requiring my current spouse's gross income/investment information. Why would my current spouses income have anything to do with my obligation to pay child support.

Any information would be appreciated. 

4honor

I am a second spouse. My DH was the NCP and the "obligor". When we requested a downward modification of CS we had to provide my income. We are in WA state. Our state typically does not reduce downward unless there are certain criteria. If DH's income had reduced (actually it had not increased, but he had 2 additional children and BM had a considerable increase in income making DH's share much less of the total) they would look at the other kids AND my ability to support the other children on my own income.

Because DH was paying a disproportionate share in the original decree, and he had tons of supporting documentation, he got the reduction he was looking for. If I had been making ALOT of money (I was told greater than $100K a year) they would have just left the CS order as it was. So, while you have a right to NOT provide the information, your bid for a reduction will likely not be granted if you do not provide the information.
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

superdad72

Thank you for the response, I appreciate it.

One question...more like asking your opinion, if we do submit my spouse's income that will put our combined over 100k.  We do not have any additional children and I believe that my ex's income has increased but not substantially.

Our concern is that CS will go up if we apply for modification, even with SD no longer being eligible.

Any thoughts?

ocean

Fill it out and leave that blank... she is not a party of the case. When we had to give the taxes, I whited out my info and the total info, made a copy and sent that in with Dh. He was not questioned...
Some states allow a reduction due to second family (more children). My state does not but since you dont have any more, you can say it does not apply to your situation..

snowrose

Have you checked your state statutes to make sure that your current spouse's income cannot be included in your custody evaluation?  Some states do include the spouse's income and some do not.

anera

You should be able to calculate it yourself if your state has a child support guide line, I would share my spouses info. is the court asking for her information or child support enforcement?
anyway if they ask tell them you dont have her info. (that's crazy to hold a step parent obligated to support her step kids oe consider her income)
TELL THEM THAT YOU ALL HAVE SEPERATRED LOL! AND THEN LATER AFTER THE REDUCTION IF THEY ASK TELL THEM YOU ALL AHVE RECONCILED LOL!     sorry