Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 09:05:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

We're off to court...

Started by IceMountain, Oct 18, 2005, 05:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceMountain

Well we finally got a court date!!  Problem is the checklist of issues we're allowed to address does not cover all of the issues.  I have sent an e-mail to my lawyer about that.

What I need to know is, now what?  We are doing a modification so I can get more time, school breaks, longer holidays, etc.

I used the samples on this site to develop a comprehensive parenting plan.  What else will I need for court?  What types of witnesses will I need?  Records?  Documentation?

I have just over 2 months to get ready for trial.  I've spent 2 years preparing, writing the parenting plan, documenting, recording conversations, etc., but now that I have a court date I feel like it's a whole new ball game!

How do I research cases to see what is happenig with cases right now?  I've tried before and I can find appealed cases, but not regular cases.  I'm in Iowa.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

MYSONSDAD

What I did with my issues, was to compile color coded expandible file folders. Blue, medical, red, alert issues, endangerment, yellow cautious issues relating to neglect toward the child, green, financial and so on. I also labeled each folder, to help remember what was enclosed. You want it at your finger tips, at a glance. Your most effective papers will be third party documents. Even if I feel something may not be needed, I bring everything and keep it in the trunk of my car. That way, if an issue is brought up, have someone handy to run out and get it for you. Never know what might be needed and ex's are always full of surprises.

Best peice of advice, is know your material, inside out. Be very organized in a way comfortable for you. Find things easily once your before the judge.

As far as caselaws, I have some I can share, but you might have better luck posting to the Iowa folks to help  with specific stuff on what your looking for.

Modifying for more time, you might want to post  to Soc with your personal situation and see what he suggests. Showing your dedication, never missing your current time, proximity to the child, and so on...

"Children learn what they live"