Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 12:49:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Does anybody know?...and a vent...

Started by dontunderstand, Nov 03, 2005, 09:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontunderstand

Does anybody know what and the hell constitutes neglect?  We have a 7 yr old child that...
1) Is tardy and/or absent AT LEAST 1x weekly.  (Last yr. 40tard./60ab.)
2) Has a mouth full of silver, yet MIGHT brush 1x weekly (except when she is here)
3) Might bathe 2x weekly~max
4) Clothes dirty more times than not, shoes ALWAYS too small (last time 1 1/2 sizes)
5) Has no bed time (she called at 9:30 last night)
I am sure that there is more, I am just so MAD!  It just pisses me off!  At what point is it enough, at what point can she just be a kid, mom has taught her that everything in life is her fault, and mom just has an excuse for EVERYTHING!  We have mediation tomorrow, that should be fun, she has temporarily "righted" all her wrongs right after she found out about mediation, isn't that classic???

cadencesmom

I found this website for you, but some of those observations are concern for neglect.

Hope this helps: http://www.safechild.org/childabuse4.htm#Indicators%20in%20Children

Lawmoe

CPS will not investigate unless allegations are extreme and are coming from a disintereted party such as teachers.  

That does not mean that the things you related will not support a Mortion for a change of custody. However, you would have to prove your case and the allegations that you make.

MYSONSDAD

You might also check your DCF or CPS State website. They will give you what is abuse and what is neglect.

Make sure you document everything going on. Keep phone records showing the time of the calls. Start a papertrail. Take the child to the dentist, they will be able to confirm her habits.

It is neglect, over a long period of time, this can cause medical problems.

"Children learn what they live"

JW

If you are in AL, check the state codes concerning truancy. Ask the school and the board of education to file truancy charges against your child/ex. She'll have to be made accountable. Take pictures, get written statements from teachers, neighbors, etc. Build a case before starting one. good luck.

dontunderstand

We are in WA state.  It is unbelieveable to me how much damage and trauma a child needs to go through.  There has to be EXTREME neglect before CPS will do anything.  Dirty not bathing and not brushing teeth and clothes and shoes too small just doesn't make it extreme.  The school district will file truency charges IF she has so many unexcused absences, however mom excuses them all, or at least most of them.  It is just absurd.  This poor child.  I love her like she is my own and I Hate sending her home knowing what she goes through.  I am just at a loss and DH is too...

marnbuk

I am going through the same thing. CPS is a joke. My child doesnt have running water and raw sewage is draining in subfloor but that is okay with CPS. I filed for custody and my daughter also has missed to much school. Just because the school hasnt filed truancy doesnt mean a judge follows the same rules. My ex also cleaned her life up as soon as she got served but I am hoping it is too loittle too late. I live in Texas but neglect is neglect no matter where you live.

JW

Hang in there. Everyone told me my child's situation wasn't bad enough either, but I finally convinced my attorney Tuesday afternoon to talk to the judge yesterday morning and request an ex parte hearing. He was concerned enough that a hearing is set for TODAY at 4:00. My ex was served last night at 8:00. She doesn't have TIME to clean up her situation, and if she did, conveniently, 12 hours after being served, she'd look like an idiot.

Keep the faith - I'll know by 5:00 tonight. I know this is just a hearing for temporary physical custody, but it's step one, and if I get over this one BIIIIIG step, I think it will make it harder for my ex to get her back. My child has changed schools three times in four weeks. My argument will be to leave her with me to complete her school year so she won't go to five schools in one year. I'll concentrate on making her feel secure, happy, and I'll help to improve her grades. I'll also enroll her in some extra-curricular activities, etc.

Wish me luck, and my daughter, and just keep hanging in there and let the ex hang him/herself. I kept diligent paperwork, documented everything, and told nothing but the truth without judging my ex. Don't try to look vindictive.

A hearing in one day - what's that tell you about my child's situation??