Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 03:38:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Please help in Denton County

Started by luieluie, Jul 29, 2009, 07:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davy

LuieLuie, For your considerations. 

You WILL be able to get a copy of any and all documents on file with the court (irrelevant of how they are filed).  It is normally considered a good practice for pro se' advocates to check your case file just before the clerks deliver it to the judge before each hearing.   Attorneys have been known to file motions without notifying you.  Of course, each party can verbally motion the court during a hearing.

If you use any recording devices (recommended) it is best for the device to be hidden and the source NOT be aware of the recording.  Judges may not accept even certified recordings as evidence in civil procedings (but it is helpful for the opposing party to become aware of the recordings in a timely manner) but they are an excellent CYA tool as a keep out of jail free card.

Think long and hard before calling the police.  Usually they can not act on civil court orders but will act on anything of a criminal nature especially involving children.  Just FYI, I don't know if Denton county is functioning like Collin and Dallas county but the police in those counties are defintely forcing people into mental hospitals without reason.

In May I and 2 others coached/helped this young mother get out of Green Oaks (Dallas).  She was upset with her EX and went to the Garland PD to ask for assistance.  He had the 3 children for the weekend.  The PD called the EX and he said put her in Green Oaks which they did.  She had great insurance.  After 10 days, she was in jeopardy of losing her job and her kids.  She had taken a stand and refused any medication.  The bottom line, many people that need/want to be there have no insurance and are limited to 4 days service.  Those with insurance are there until the cows come home.  I did not know this person before and have not seen her since.  She was educated, had a good job and of sound mind and character.  There were 6 like people (all had called 911) from Dallas and Collin county at the time and I was recently told their population has now at least doubled.    Just be careful.

I'm very surprised that an associate judge (Child support) can make any custody determinations ... I've always understood it HAD TO BE a District Court judge.  Of course make sure you have a "Court Order" signed by a judge.

Great job.  Best to ya.

MomofTwo

Luieluie,
Regarding "I assume that all I have to do is ask for the case file and those papers will be made available..." Don't assume that. In many areas, if you want a copy of filings, you have to go to the courthouse and pay a copying fee for those.  It may be different in your area, but it has been my experience if you want copies, you have to pay for them.   

Also, I have found while on-line services notes filings in family law, they never have access to the actual documents online.  That is fairly common.

Davy

LuieLuie, For your considerations. 

You WILL be able to get a copy of any and all documents on file with the court (irrelevant of how they are filed).  It is normally considered a good practice for pro se' advocates to check your case file just before the clerks deliver it to the judge before each hearing.   Attorneys have been known to file motions without notifying you.  Of course, each party can verbally motion the court during a hearing.

If you use any recording devices (recommended) it is best for the device to be hidden and the source NOT be aware of the recording.  Judges may not accept even certified recordings as evidence in civil procedings (but it is helpful for the opposing party to become aware of the recordings in a timely manner) but they are an excellent CYA tool as a keep out of jail free card.

Think long and hard before calling the police.  Usually they can not act on civil court orders but will act on anything of a criminal nature especially involving children.  Just FYI, I don't know if Denton county is functioning like Collin and Dallas county but the police in those counties are defintely forcing people into mental hospitals without reason.

In May I and 2 others coached/helped this young mother get out of Green Oaks (Dallas).  She was upset with her EX and went to the Garland PD to ask for assistance.  He had the 3 children for the weekend.  The PD called the EX and he said put her in Green Oaks which they did.  She had great insurance.  After 10 days, she was in jeopardy of losing her job and her kids.  She had taken a stand and refused any medication.  The bottom line, many people that need/want to be there have no insurance and are limited to 4 days service.  Those with insurance are there until the cows come home.  I did not know this person before and have not seen her since.  She was educated, had a good job and of sound mind and character.  There were 6 like people (all had called 911) from Dallas and Collin county at the time and I was recently told their population has now at least doubled.    Just be careful.

I'm very surprised that an associate judge (Child support) can make any custody determinations ... I've always understood it HAD TO BE a District Court judge.  Of course make sure you have a "Court Order" signed by a judge.

Great job.  Best to ya.

[/quote]