Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 02:52:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lawyer/Divorce issues

Started by Dwayne2, Sep 20, 2009, 10:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwayne2

I have been going through a divorce for about a year now.  Nothing has gotten accomplished, except the fact that I am more and more in debt.  I feel like my lawyer is not representing me as best as he can.  I have given him all important information regarding how much money I make, and what I have been spending my money on.  Somehow, the court judged that I make $20,000 more that I do per year, and are saying that I owe $1,000 more in child support per month.  I did have a couple of small, part-time jobs before the divorce, where I was making about $5,000 more per year total, and only had those jobs for about a year.  I no longer work those jobs, and I cannot afford to pay what the judge ordered.  Why is it that with the information that I had given my lawyer to prove all of this is false, the judge still decided that I pay more in child support and living expenses?

MomofTwo

The courts typically go back one year to evaluate income. Depending when you had those jobs, they very well could have been included in the determination for support.

Dwayne2

Will the court change that decision based on the information that I have given them?  I just don't understand why when I have proven my position with documentation, they still decided that I should pay more.

MomofTwo

Very unlikely since this was just ordered.

The courts take on it...you were working those jobs, you are capable of that same earning capacity, and that is what support is based on.  Not just what you are earning currently, but what you earned in the past year and your total earning capacity.