Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 10:13:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

FERPA

Started by teacher98, Sep 26, 2009, 05:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CuriousMom

ocean - I have a question or any of the teachers actually. 

Does your school have a website that is accessible by teacher/classroom?  I was being nosey and curious .  I know each childs grades are accessible for the parents but if there were a classroom/teacher website - could these assignments be posted there and then both parents can see them?  It is then the parents responsiblity to communicate with each other and make sure the child is getting them done and understand them.  And it would give the opposite parent insight on what assignments are out there and can ask specifics.  No additional copies / paperwork - just a quick upload to a site.

I'm in IT - so we have Sharepoint sites for everything.  Thought it might be an idea for the schools.  My son isn't in school yet so I'm not sure what is in a Friday folder yet.

worriedinmd

That would be a good idea, like the websites they have in college where you can check your assignments for the next week. I know my school doesn't have one, however if the teacher is prompt in grading papers you can usually tell if your child hasn't turned something in the day after it is due when the teacher puts in the 0 for their grade for that assignment.

ocean

Yes, they have websites for each teacher too. The higher grade teachers use them more than the younger ones. We are not mandated to use them. Mine has the monthly look-out for my classroom and important things (trips). One year I put the spelling words up every week but I was able to see that really no one used the site too often so I changed it to monthly.
My daughters are in middle school and they come home with assignments right from their teachers website that has to be done by computer. Pretty neat.

A Friday folder is usually used at the lower levels to send home things to the parents. I usually send everything home on Monday with the HW sheet, then they get some paperwork during the week. For the folders I have to make, I wait and put everything in a folder on Friday then mail it. Some teachers send all classwork home on Friday but we do not have aides so I do it daily so it does not pile up.

Mom0f3

On my DH's CO it states "information about the progress and school achool activities of the child will be obtained by each parent individually, with the cooperation of the other parent when needed."

We have never had an issue on teachers sending extra copies to us if they are important, however if we were unable to get BM to give us copies they would send home copies with other sibling.

CuriousMom

I think that's a good statement, then each parent is held responsible for the most part.  Going to write that down :-)

pcdad

We just went through a battle with my step daughter's school.  My husband and I moved out of state and I called his daughter's school to update our information and was informed that the BM told them not to give us any information on my husband's daughter.  There is nothing in the divorce papers regarding this issue and my husband is still her legal father keeping in contact with his daughter (she is 11) as much as the evil BM will allow.  She seems to have court officials in her back pocket or bedroom b'cuz every time we fight for my husband's rights to maintain a relationship with his daughter the BM brings us to court and we lose and lose more and more money.  Oh well - another issue alltogether.  Anyway, I informed the school that it is my husband's legal right to have access to his daughter's school records and if the BM doesn't want that then the burden is placed on her to get a court order that states otherwise.  They complied and supplied us with the log in and passwordDoes anyone have any advice as how to get access to medical records on a child - the BM refuses to share any of this information with us.  I know - get another atty and go back to court - spend more money - blah - blah - blah.  We have exhausted all funds and will not go this route. 

gemini3

There is a good letter on this site that you can use to get medical records.  You send a certified copy of the letter to the doctor demanding medical records.  In VA is against the law to deny a parent medical records.  You should check with your state.  If the doctor refuses to comply you can file a petition with their licensing board.

pcdad

Thanks for the info but we have the problem that we don't know what clinic or physician she brings them to and any time we try to get this information through the courts we are told we have to obtain an attorney, file a petition, pay for the process server, etc.  More money that we refuse to keep shelling out because his ex is vindictive and evil.

Kitty C.

You might want to try asking for a copy of the emergency contact information from the school.  Often it will list the child's doctor.......I know our school district requests that kind of information.  It would also be good to see exactly what kind of information is on there.  If you are not the primary parent, then you should be listed as a secondary emergency contact.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

CuriousMom

Not sure if all physician's follow this rule of thumb, but when I added my son's father to his medical file I had to sign a HIPAA form, too.  They wouldn't just let me verbally add the information, regardless of the CO.  I have no idea which would supercede, if it truly got that far.