Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 10:04:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Seperation of Child Support and Family Law

Started by CuriousMom, Oct 13, 2009, 07:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CuriousMom

This might be a stupid question but I needed some clarification.  I've read posts that in some states CS and custody are seperate entities and in some states they are combined.  I've also read posts that judges ordered CS to be PIF or adjusted up or down- I can't remember which type of state those posts were in.

I'm in a state where they are considered seperate, but do they ever overlap?  Can a judge order CS be paid as part of a court order in a custody matter?

ocean

Yes...it depends what was filed. If only a child support issue was filed it will go to a child support only magistrate. If both visitation and child support are brought up and filed together, you will be assigned a judge that will decide both.
It is not that it is two different places but child support and visitation are separate issues and you can withhold one for the other... Now...if one parent files for child support..it could go to that part of the courts and then you file for visitation you may have to do it with someone else since it was not filed together. In NY we have some people that only do child support issues and they can them in and out...dealing with numbers and they will not deal with visitation issues, that you need to be assigned to someone who can do both.

MixedBag

PIF?  not sure what that means.

Child support can be adjusted for a variety of reasons -- and each states will have a list to include but not limited to the reasons.

So -- that part goes back to your state's code/law.

KidsinAZ

That depends on what you are asking.  In states that take parenting time into consideration, then a change in parenting time would have an impact on child support.  In states where it is not, then it would have no impact. 

CuriousMom

Sorry Mixed - paid in full.  Thanks for all of your input everyone, makes sense now

MixedBag

I think we need to talk....CM.....check your e-mail.