Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 06:45:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Does anyone think this is an issue or I am I just a bit too irritated right now?

Started by asof2005, Dec 05, 2009, 04:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asof2005

DH picks up kids today from mom's.    10 year old SS tells dad that he was grounded by his step-dad yesterday.  The reason, he had no clean pants to wear.  I suppose the situation was that in the morning SS couldn't find pants to wear that he had not already worn at least twice.  Step-dad takes them to grandma's before school which is about 25 mins away.  Mom got mad looking for jeans, I guess this resulted in them being late.  So step-dad said he is grounded and staying home from school.  Step-dad brings younger SS to grandma's and later on find out it is a snow day anyway, so at least older SS wasn't kept from school because of the pants.  10 year old SS does not do his own laundry at mom's (neither does he here)  How is it that he is grounded for his mother not doing her job?  And to keep him home from school because of it?  Fortunately it was a snow day because he does not need to be kept home from school because of his mom's laziness.

My apologies, I suppose this a rant more than anything.  But I do believe it is excessive for the step-dad to ground a kid from school.  I have been with DH for 3 years longer than the step-dad has been around and I have never grounded the boys.  I have put them in their rooms for 20 mins or something like that, but never grounded, especially for something that was my or my husband's fault. 

I guess I will document if they keep them home from school for reasons such as these.

Gestalt

mmmm....my daughter (7) gets into trouble when she doesn't put her dirty clothes down the laundry chute to be washed.  I wash it, not track it.

maybe just a parenting difference

asof2005

Quote from: Gestalt on Dec 07, 2009, 07:58:04 AM
mmmm....my daughter (7) gets into trouble when she doesn't put her dirty clothes down the laundry chute to be washed.  I wash it, not track it.

maybe just a parenting difference

but would you keep a kid home from school for it, that is the issue i have

Gestalt

definitely not- you are right to be ticked over that, I would be too....I don't know how I missed that particular tidbit in the first read through

MomofTwo

But it was also a snow day.  How can you know for sure that the child was kept home due to not being responsible?

I think you pick your battles and this is not a battle worth fighting for the parents.

asof2005

Quote from: MomofTwo on Dec 07, 2009, 03:30:15 PM
But it was also a snow day.  How can you know for sure that the child was kept home due to not being responsible?

I think you pick your battles and this is not a battle worth fighting for the parents.
I know he was left behind because the step-dad left too early to see that there was a snow day and he brought the younger son to Grandma's before school as usual.

We did not say anything because of the ridiculous PPO she has against DH.  This isn't the first time they have been kept from school for stupid reasons, this is just the first time the step-dad has done it.  I also do not believe it is his right in his position to keep the kids from school, unless he is the only parent around and the children are very sick.

mdegol

The step-dad just left child behind because HE didn't want to be late for work.  Not cool.  The grounding from school is just a stupid cover.  Who grounds a child from school??  Isn't that almost a reward in the kid's eyes?  That is REALLY weird, and I would try to get it in writing (like email) for later possible use.

Davy

Agreed.  this fella is the mother's husband and has no custodial rights to someone childs (ie grounding to prevent school attendance).  Same as corporal punishment.

MomofTwo

And this is the other step parent complaining about the other step parent.  This is not the NCP having an issue.

asof2005

Quote from: MomofTwo on Dec 08, 2009, 04:00:25 AM
And this is the other step parent complaining about the other step parent.  This is not the NCP having an issue.
My DH is custodial, and he has a big problem with his children missing school.  He is the one that goes to conferences, holiday programs, school parties etc.  She does not.  She thinks that a "Good Enough Degree" is exactly that, good enough.