Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 03:09:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

My mother wants to move my brother to homeless shelter

Started by smurfette547, Jan 22, 2006, 09:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smurfette547

Ok, a little background is needed for this one. My mother and now 16 year old brother live with another brother here in town. My mother refuses to work and claims to have no opportunity to do so in our town. She lives off his social security dead parents benifit and food stamps.  She has maintianed this lifestyle for him for several years now.  She wants to move him to a homeless shelter as soon as the school year is over.  Having grown up like that ourselves thanks to her, my others brothers and I do not want this life for him.  She does not even buy his school supplies or clothing. I do all of that so that he doesnt go completely without. Our only thoughts are to try and get him Emancipated before she can complete the move.  My cry for help to anyone who will listen is to know if we have any other way to stop her without hiring an attorney because we really can not afford one.  P.S. He is a very responsible boy with no trouble with law or girls and plans to join the army at 18 after graduation.  And he does not want to live like that.    Please respond quickly. We live in KS if that helps

ocean

Do you want him to live with you for the next two years? If HE wants to live with you then it will a lot eaiser to do. He is 16 so he can tell a judge where he wants to live. What if he just came to your house? You can ask for guardenship over him until his 18th birthday....Are you in the same school district?

smurfette547

Thanks   He lives three blocks from me and my older brother is more than willing to let him continue to live there if he can do it legally.  He does not want to fight over the ssi check.  He will keep him with out any money from her too but, she wont leave the check behind if she can prevent it.

reellis527

He can join the army now and they will emancipate him.  A cousin of mines signed up for the army while still in high school some kind of way and I do know it emancipated him but he had the committment to join the army.