Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 07:03:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Visitation and Depression meds

Started by DDS, Dec 27, 2009, 04:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDS

I kinda mentioned this on the child custody board, but I figure this might be a better place. My ex and I were together from Nov of last year till a couple weeks ago. She is denying me unsupervised visitation based on me having depression issues in the beginning of the year. I was on Lexapro and Xanax (took them per the prescribed dosage) and have been done with them since july. I have shown NO depression symptoms since just before my son was born.
My ex says that I was unhappy much of the past year. She would be right as being with someone that berates you and is spiteful and hateful will make anyone unhappy.
She is now saying "You can't see him alone because you are unstable. I'm doing what's best for our son." Keep in mind this is after I broke up with her after dealing with her for a year.
She also brought up that because of my prior Domestic Violence issues, she no longer feels safe with me. (Little backstory, My ex fiance 7 years ago was cheating on me. He called me to tell me he had been sleeping with her. during an argument with both of them, I spit on her. I went to DV counseling for six months and had my record expunged.) I have never threatened her, nor touched her physcially. She however, slapped me the other night. Due to her blatantly making things up, i fear she's going to say something like i laid my hands on her. WHich I would never do.
Currently I'm going to be filing in court for unsupervised visitation. Do I go to the police about her slapping me? What would happen to our son if she is arrested if I haven't been granted unsupervised visitation?

Any help would be appreciated.

ocean

Too late for police report now....next time if any ...yes. She may ask for a psychological for you. When was the last time you were at the dr? Go back and have them do a recheck and confirm no meds for now. Has anything happened since the last time she let you have him alone? If not, you can bring that up....
Do you have any court orders in the courts now?

Kitty C.

Xanax and Lexapro are pretty potent depression meds.....can the doctor who prescribed them to you give a legitimate explanation as to why you were only on it for 6-7 months and provide you with a prognosis that he/she would be willing to testify in court with?   The reason I ask is because drugs of that type are usually...usually used long term, not short term.  And if your ex is using that as an excuse to ask for not allowing unsupervised visitation, then you will have to either have that doctor back you up or be willing to undergo an evaluation to disprove her allegations.

Every diagnosis of any disease can vary within any individual.  In my case, depression runs in the family....I've been on Wellbutrin for about 10 years and expect to be on it for the rest of my life.  In some cases, it can be situational, which may be the case with you.  And it can also be seasonal (SAD, seasonal affective disorder) for some as well.  But when it comes to custody disputes and vindictive exes who want to use it against you, be prepared to have it fully documented in court if you want any chance at custody.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

DDS

Quote from: ocean on Dec 27, 2009, 05:16:52 PM
Too late for police report now....next time if any ...yes. She may ask for a psychological for you. When was the last time you were at the dr? Go back and have them do a recheck and confirm no meds for now. Has anything happened since the last time she let you have him alone? If not, you can bring that up....
Do you have any court orders in the courts now?
Here'ss the thing. Since his birth, she has never really let me be alone with him. I took him once to visit a friend of mine while she was on an interview, and she flipped out on me. I tried to respect the whole "i'm not ready to let him out of my sight" thing, but it's gotten ridiculous...
Nothing has happened since I left her. I've actually been quite fine for a while, but I figured getting back to the dr  to get his new prognosis is a good idea.