Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 04:32:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

requesting information on a closed CPS case?

Started by tryingtounderstand, Dec 28, 2009, 04:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tryingtounderstand

I spoke with [HIGHLIGHT=#fbd5b5]Oklahoma Child Protective Services[/HIGHLIGHT] requestion information about an investigation.

[HIGHLIGHT=#ccc1d9]I was told it was closed and no findings of neglect.[/HIGHLIGHT]

I asked if I could get the report was told to send a letter in with my drivers license.

I was thinking of asking in my letter these things.

What caused this investigation?
What was the complaint?
Who filed the complaint?
Who all were interviewed, called, spoken to?\
Who did the interviews?
When did this complaint come to DHS?
Who received the complaint?
How long was the investigation?
What was I accused of?
What was my daughter accused of?
What was the out come of the investigation?

[HIGHLIGHT=#f2dcdb]Can someone help with a letter and the appropriate wording to get the most information back from them?[/HIGHLIGHT]

Thanks in advance.

tryingtounderstand

Should I post this some where else to get help?

Kitty C.

Just a guess, but I would assume that they won't be able to give you any more information than what is in the report.  So if they asked for a letter of request for the report from you, then all you need to ask for is the report.  But be careful about asking too many questions....they may question your motives for wanting the report in the first place.  Send the letter requesting a copy of the report and then if you have further questions, then ask.

I don't know how CPS works, but DS's dad filed a complaint against me here in IA back in 1993, then took off with DS to CA without my knowledge (while I was at work).  The basis of his complaint was alledged bruises, but he told the intake worker that it supposedly happened 2 weeks prior and had no physical proof........which told DHS right off that it wasn't credible.  So when I contacted DHS by phone, one of the first things they told me was that if the report is unfounded, it is destroyed in one year.  For them to be so adamant in telling me that immediately said to me they didn't consider it a credible case.  And one year later, I received notification from DHS that the report had been destroyed.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Davy

Kitty was right.  About all you can do is "request ALL reports" and I think then only if you and maybe your minor child are subject of the report(s).  I requested the reports a 2nd time a couple of months apart because the first report by the investigator had a statement that she would cover the interview with my sons off-line.  The purpose of the investigation is to find something or anything wrong. 

In the 1st report, the investigator wrote half a page dinging me for not having any pictures of the children on display in the apt. (we had just moved in).

The 2nd report mostly concerned it self with a supervisor's telephone interview with the out of state mother and the the out of state local DCFS office ans was based on the interview with my sons.  Both reporting deplorable events.  The mother actually stated "she didn't care anything about the boys and there was no way I would ever have anything to do with my daughter".  The content was long and unprintable here.

The following will probably be addressed in the report :
What was the complaint?
Who all were interviewed, called, spoken to?\
Who did the interviews?
When did this complaint come to DHS?
How long was the investigation?
What was I accused of?
What was my daughter accused of?
What was the out come of the investigation?

The following probably will NOT be addresssed :

Who filed the complaint?

tryingtounderstand

Thank you Kitty C and Davy for taking the time to give me your thoughts.

DadsCrushed

I subpoenaed the records. Also, some counties allow you to "attempt" to get the reports, and have the form on their website.

In my subpoena, I identified the Attachment with the scope and nature of the requested documents:

Any and all notes, correspondence, video and/or audio interviews, photographs and the like, and all other materials generated or accumulated by Social Services Child Protective Services for ???? County State of ???? during the investigation(s) of sexual, physical and/or mental injury of ???? , whose date of birth is ????, , and ???? , whose date of birth is ???, , where INSERT YOUR NAME is identified as an interested party from the date of your initial interview and/or treatment of the children to the present.