Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 07:46:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Are braces elective?

Started by FireFighterDAD, Feb 18, 2011, 09:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txmom702

Quote from: Kitty C. on Feb 18, 2011, 02:16:41 PM
I know that many think that braces are mostly cosmetic, but since working in a dental college, I've come to learn just how important it is to have teeth aligned properly, because it can severely affect the way you eat.  If teeth are not 'meshing' together the way they are supposed to, it can cause all kinds of problems down the road.

I can SO vouch for that!  My teeth weren't 'that bad' so my parents decided braces for me were just cosmetic.  I can't tell you how painful it is now - they've moved a lot more as I've gotten older and I get constant headaches & jaw pain because my teeth are crooked...

FireFighterDAD

txmom, I'm so sorry about your teeth and your pain.

I'm waiting to hear back from my son's dentist.  All my ex sent me was cost estimate.  I'd like a diagnosis from the dentist too so I know what's going to happen--teeth pulled, etc.?  My ex doesn't think I deserve the details, I just deserve to pay.  I can take out a loan against my vehicle to pay my share but I'd like to know the details of the diagnosis--don't think that's too much to ask. 

The only odd thing to me is that this guy supposedly only works one day a week--Friday.  Is that common?  I asked the receptionist if that meant that he worked out of other offices on other days and she said no. 

FFD

ocean

Yes, some just work 1 or 2 days a week in a reg dental office and use their space. He probably does work another day somewhere else but she wanted to keep your business there or not to call the other office.

The office manager should be the one you talk to though...not the dentist. Ask the office manage what the diagnosis is and if they will do a payment plan directly with you. Ask if the insurance was put through and get copies of the amounts before you split any amount.

I am dealing with this now with my own daughter and we are in 6 months of treatment and the insurance company is still fighting it out (girls have two insurances...fighting over how much is each paying). I told manager, I am willing to pay a small amount but insurance first then I pay. Make sure if you carry insurance ...ex does not have another policy she will be using and not tell you. With my SD, the dentist told us of a second policy..that BM did not tell us and wanted us to pay half directly to HER!