Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 03:05:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Problem solved

Started by msme, Feb 26, 2011, 11:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msme

I guess there will be no problem with holding spring break after all. It is not a good thing but will eliminate the issue. DGS#2 is pretty sick & will not be well enough even by then to make the 12 hour trip. Sept of '09, he got a very bad case of swine flu. It really trashed his immune system. Since then he has caught any & everything he has been unknowingly exposed to. Recently he developed a large lump on the side of his neck. We took him to the dr & they said they thought he had cat scratch fever. Reasonable since they have two 7 month old kittens. They did a bunch of blood work & when it came back, the doc said he is literally a fly tape for disease. He has Mono, Human Parvo Virus, something called CMV (I think), don't know what that is. And the lump is a staff infection in his gland. Also the cat scratch fever.
Poor little guy. He is allowed to go to school but no PE, sports, or anything strenuous. He must take a nap after school & go to the nurse & lay down if he feels bad. He is on high doses of antibiotics for a month & if lump has not gone down, they will surgically drain it. He had just had his first Jarate compitition & placed in 2 categories. Now no Karate till he is all better. Rough on a 12 year old. We are also giving him yogurt as a med, that is 2 tablespoons 3 times daily to help rebuild him, along with a bunch of vitamins.
Please keep him in your prayers. I'll keep y'all posted.

gemini3

Oh my gosh!  The poor thing. 

I assume you're giving him yogurt for the probiotics?  Most yogurts don't actually have the live bacteria, and a lot of supplements have lots of probiotics, but not ones that actually do anything for the human body.  You should look for the following strains for immunity:

Streptococcus thermophilus
Lactobacilli acidophilus
Bifidobacterium infantis
Saccharomyces boulardii

(I just did a research paper on this, that's how I have all this weird info, lol.) 

You also want a pre-biotic, such as inulin, to provide enough nutritional support until they colonize. 

Don't forget that antibiotics kill ALL the bacteria in the body - even the good ones.  So it's no use giving him a probiotic until after he finishes his course of antibiotics, because it will just kill what you give him. 

msme

Thanks Gemini3, I will print the list & take it to the store with me. Just figured that since yogurt feeds the healthy flora & fauna, giving it may help him as he goes through this & sure can't hurt. We got the greek yogurt as it has way more protein than the regular & tastes better too. Cost more too. LOL but what the heck.