Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 03:49:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

URGENT -- Social services involved

Started by tigger, Mar 10, 2011, 10:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigger

This is complicated but I need advice from those who are familiar with this stuff so I can pass it on. 

Players:
C - mom
K - dad to DS1, stepfather to DD5
B - C's mom, grandmother to children
A - C's sister, B's DD

A and C have always had a love/hate relationship.  And because no one wanted C to get into trouble, they've covered for her and allowed her to get away with things she shouldn't have. 

This week, A went over to C's house to have her try on a dress.  C didn't like it, said some mean things (to which I'm sure A responded verbally but don't know for sure).  As A was trying to leave, C physically attacked her and C's dog bit A on the face.  (C had A on the ground beating her.) 

Social services had been called last month (by whom we don't know) and C averted the issue by telling them that she had the flu and they couldn't come.  They are coming out today though I'm unclear as to whether this is a follow up to the missed visit or if it's because of the dog bite and the fact that the dog is in the house with two children and it has come to light that the dog has bitten both children previously.  She has already rehearsed everything that she's planning on saying to CPS and will put the total blame for the incident on A.  (C has a history of being violent, having broken A's arm at least twice.)

B wants to know how she can be set up as a guardian for the children should they be removed from the home.  This is one of the reasons C has been allowed to get away with so much, because B was scared of losing the kids.  Both C and K do drugs.  B believes that she can remain sober long enough to meet with CPS but by this evening she'll be stoned and K will too.  I suggested she call and request a well-being check on the children once C has had time to get high/stoned/wasted whatever the proper term is.  She wants to do that but fears the kids will be put in foster care rather than her care if they are removed.  She is the one that drives over there every morning to get DD5 ready for school.  When she's out of town or can't go over there, the child doesn't go to school.  I told her years ago that needed to allow C to sink or swim but she always came to her rescue and now the children are in danger.  Any advice?

(And now I completely understand why first posts are sometimes disjointed and difficult to read.  The poster's mind is going a million miles a minute with thoughts and scenarios going through it.)
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

fight4him

That was sort of hard to follow but if the kids get taken wouldn't the grandmother be the first to be offered guardianship?

tigger

I figured it would be.  That's why I put the last sentence in there.

I think the concern was that the maternal grandmother wouldn't be given that opportunity.  C could easily lie to them regarding the relationship with the MG.  As it turned out, she lied to a friend who is a friend with the case manager and the friend told the case manager that nothing was wrong and that C was a model parent so the visit never happened. 
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!