Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 01:35:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Not a CS issue, but one related to it.....

Started by Kitty C., Mar 22, 2011, 07:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty C.

Just need clarification..........if a husband and wife file a federal tax return as 'married filing separate', and a garnishment is ordered on only one of them, will the IRS ONLY take the refund of the spouse with the garnishment?  I am assuming they will, since the returns are filed separately?
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

tigger

No real clue but my guess is that only his SS# would trigger the garnishment alert.
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

Simplydad

If you file separately you should not be flagged but I am not 100% certain on that.  However, to protect yourself you should be able to file an innocent spouse form to protect your refund.

fight4him

My first husband had a garnishment on his name. I had to file and injured spouse form every year WITH my taxes so they wouldn't touch my money. It takes a bit longer to get your refund back but at least you get it.

Kitty C.

Quote from: fight4him on Mar 22, 2011, 07:23:57 PM
My first husband had a garnishment on his name. I had to file and injured spouse form every year WITH my taxes so they wouldn't touch my money. It takes a bit longer to get your refund back but at least you get it.

But did you file 'married filing joint' or 'married filing separate'?  I know that if you file joint, they will take it all and the 'injured spouse' has to file to get their part........I just don't know if the same thing happens if you file separately.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......