Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 20, 2024, 02:40:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A question about NJ CS Laws regarding summer camp/daycare...

Started by NJDad422, Apr 05, 2011, 12:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJDad422

Am I still obligated to pay for summer camp for my 12 year old daughter if I am available to watch her for at least half of the summer? Her mother wants to send her to summer camp for half of the summer and then to her sister's house in Florida for the other half of the summer. I have been unemployed for a long time, so I am available to watch my daughter for at least half the summer. I don't feel that it's right that she would send her to summer camp as opposed to me watching her. I can't afford summer camp for my son!!! Thanks for any input...

Oh, I am not a criminal, my ex does not have a restraining order against me, and I have regular unsupervised visitation with my daughter every other weekend. 

Waylon

Quote from: NJDad422 on Apr 05, 2011, 12:06:36 PM
Am I still obligated to pay for summer camp for my 12 year old daughter if I am available to watch her for at least half of the summer?

I'm not an attorney, but in a word, "no". Unless it states in the parenting plan that you have to pay for this kind of expense, then the general rule is that you do not. If she wants to send her to camp that's her decision but you are more thanlikely not obligated to pay for any of it unless the parenting plan says you do.
The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

NJDad422

Quote from: Waylon on Apr 05, 2011, 12:47:02 PM
I'm not an attorney, but in a word, "no". Unless it states in the parenting plan that you have to pay for this kind of expense, then the general rule is that you do not. If she wants to send her to camp that's her decision but you are more thanlikely not obligated to pay for any of it unless the parenting plan says you do.

Oh, I'm required to pay for half of the daycare, but my thought is why should I pay for half of summer camp for my daughter when I am currentoly planning on watching my son for the whole summer... It would actually be great to have his half-sister there too, at least for half of the summer, plus it would be a cost savings for both my ex and myself. My ex won't discuss this with me, so... where do I turn? The Courts? I'm just trying to see (informally) if I have a leg to stand on, or if I should just forget it and pay. I think that I have a valid argument...

Thanks for your input!

MixedBag

How long are you supposed to spend time with your daughter over the summer?

ocean

Same question ....do you have summer extended visit with daughter?
When she is with you, do not send her to camp and keep her with you.
Send her a certified letter:
Ex,
According to our court order dated XXX, I am not required to pay for summer camp. My offer still stands, I am willing to watch Xx during the day anytime during the summer. The decree also states on pg xx, that XX is with me for xx weeks. I will be taking her from XX to XX. If you need me to watch her any other time, please just email/call and let me know.
You

If she sends you a bill, ignore it.

PS
12 year olds do not require daycare anymore. They are old enough in most states to babysit other children. Most daycares only go up to 12. Specialty camps go higher but that is not daycare. Mom could try and go back and ask for it to be split BUT you can say you are willing to watch her and that her sibling is at the house all summer. (and you can not afford to pay for a specialty camp this year...)