Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 12:48:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graduation war enters final days

Started by msme, May 18, 2011, 08:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msme

Well gr8dad has outdone himself. the pbfh is leaving TX Thursday evening, driving all night & will arrive sometime friday morning. She plans to attend the graduation & leave immediately to go back. Figuring they don't want to spring for a motel & his concern for his son riding back with them led him to offer to pay for a motel room so they can rest & get a fresh start Saturday morning. She flat out turned him down, saying that she had to get right back.

We don't know how she plans to make 2 twelve hour drives & attend a graduation in about 36 hours with no rest. It is scary. Does anyone know if that would be grounds to withhold DGS#2? Oh well, keep the prayers & good wishes headed our way, Thanks.

MixedBag

Scary, but no.....make sure DGS#2 knows what to do in case of an emergency.  Like give him a phone card or pre-paid cell phone IF something happens and he needs to call dad for assistance.  Give him $10 to buy a meal and make a call.

Scary, but I say no.

Kitty C.

And with PBFH's penchant for lying.....she may be about this, too.  Maybe she said they wouldn't stay the night because she doesn't want to stay in the area.  Maybe they will drive for a few hours and then stop at a motel.

DGS still needs to stay on his toes, which might be difficult in the wee hours of the morning, but if he realizes that the driver (whomever that might be) is getting drowsy, he should engage them in conversation to keep them awake.  Or ask to stop because he needs the bathroom...something to keep the driver alert.  I would also recommend that, if he is sitting in back that he sit on the passenger side for a better view of the driver.

I would also tell him that if they do stop and he doesn't feel safe because the driver can't stay alert, he should either call 911 or ask someone (some employee if they're at a truck stop) to call authorities.  Driving when you're sleepy is still driving while impaired and there are penalties for that.  But the objective is to avoid having an accident.......
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......